How to reduce input latency and make the game smooth.  (Read 53723 times)

Piglet

Re: How to reduce input latency and make the game smooth.
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2022, 16:16 »
Wierd - I've been noticing I've been missing things more recently and found I'm somehow running at 30 to 60fps

I re-downloaded the two dll's from the start of this thread and still get same speeds. If I delete them I get wishy-washy screen colours, an odd-feeling game, but back to normal fps.

Not sure what's going on.

Piglet

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2022, 16:27 »
and without the d3d8.dll in my system directory it feels like shiiit but at high fps. Sluggish display change. Grrr!

Piglet

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2022, 16:56 »
PC restart made it better. Back to full fps with the d3d8.dll. Still feels really stuttery though. That could be me!

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2022, 18:20 »
PC restart made it better. Back to full fps with the d3d8.dll. Still feels really stuttery though. That could be me!
Did you speak to the IT department? Did they tell you to turn it off then on again?  :))  Sorry couldn't resist the old IT joke/line : :)) O:-)

Glad it's working better for you dude.

I recently bought myself a new x570 mobo swapped everything over then realised my 1600 cpu wasn't supported  :)) ::) I've now got to get a new psu and cpu to go with the mobo  :)) :))
Stealer.T32

Gil-galad

• Full MemberĀ 
  • Hail the Holy Flying Spaguetti Monster!
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2022, 16:47 »
Since I've had strange stuttering, de-synchronization, and input lag lately, I've looked a bit again at this thread. After my tinkering, I have :

Code: [Select]
[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=9636
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000

Code: [Select]
[Engine.LevelInfo]
MaxClientFrameRate=151.000000

I chose this value for MaxClientFrameRate  because I realized that whatever ConfiguredInternetSpeed value you choose to write in your file, the server will overwrite. I've also used the slider made available on miasma freon server options, which goes up to 250, that will not translate in ConfiguredInternetSpeed=25000

The logic here would be, if I'm correct, that, say, if your desired fps is 250, you'd have to set your ConfiguredInternetSpeed to 251 x 64, so to 16064. I've set my fps at 151 because the value the server writes divided by 64 gives me that (9636 / 64=150.5625).

Having a higher fps than the refresh rate of your monitor, if I got it right, may be desirable to achieve lower input latency. However, as the ConfiguredInternetSpeed value will not stick, it seems to me that there's no gain for me to put a value higher than 151 in MaxClientFrameRate. The previous understanding that you had to choose ConfiguredInternetSpeed=20000 to unlock higher fps online seems to be not recommended anymore, since the server lowers it.

Hardware context, if relevant :
My CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 5800X) is somewhat more recent than my GPU (ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT), and my screen has a 144 Hz refresh rate, pixel count of 4K.

What values would you choose? Did I get something wrong?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 19:39 by Gil-galad »
His sword was long, his lance was keen.
His shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

The Fall of Gil-galad - J. R. R. Tolkien