Server Upgrade Appeal - want a faster server? Help with the upgrade.  (Read 17435 times)

Piglet

Do you like playing on the server we installed a year ago? Have you had fun? Do you value it? Would you like it even better?

Do you want more lag-free* spamfest on a full server?  We certainly do.

We're planning going to upgrade the server** to the newest hardware and you can be are part of making it happen.

Feel free to pitch in for this awesome We are going to upgrade to one of the fastest (per core) CPUs available.

A few people are donating regularly to pay for the cost of hosting the physical server at the datacentre.  If you're one of these people, thank you! Thank you very much.  It is really appreciated.  Unless you really want to help towards new hardware, please don't give any more.  You're already contributing enough.

If you are willing & able to help towards the new hardware, please do using the link below using a card or paypal. Please let us know in the comments on the Paypal form or on the forum thread below that this is towards hardware. Thank you!

If you're not able or not willing to help, that's fine. There is no pressure to contribute. We're in the middle of a pandemic and we know that many people are struggling. Carry on helping us by having fun and being nice to the other players as you slaughter each other on the server.

* No. Much as we'd like to we can't do anything about internet congestion, the speed of light, or the speed of your PC...but we can make the server better!

**  The Upgrade we're planning going to make, if you want more detail

We are currently about £11 off have met the target of £600 to get a faster CPU & motherboard, faster RAM and faster SSD.  Thank you!

• Mobo & CPU: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6GHz @ £459.99
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance BLACK LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz Memory @ £72.99
  • Disk : Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD PCIe Gen3x4 @ £66.99

If you are able to help out. Please do here (or from this link if this doesn't work):

Thank you,

Piglet

PS. You'll only get sent here once for each player name you use, on each MiA Server. Stick to one name and you only get pushed here once per server.

PPS. If you're wondering what will happen to the old parts from the server: I paid for the current hardware. Nobody in my family has a computer with as good a processor as the one currently in there - so the old parts will be used to improve our home kit.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 22:12 by Piglet »

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
Hi..there are 2 buttons. Are both the same or different ? ;)

Also, can donations be anonymous :D

I will pitch in a small amount as covid literally caused a big shit with cash flow but man I love this game and the hard work put in by all of ya ;)
Thanks,
Hell

Piglet

I really appreciate the donations that have been made (both today and for hosting to date). Thank you.

Blub

Do you want more lag-free* well executed triple rox festivals on a full server?  We certainly do.

Fixed that for you. ;)

If you are willing & able to help towards the new hardware, please do using the link below using a card or paypal. Please let us know in the comments on the Paypal form or on the forum thread below that this is towards hardware. Thank you!

That's something I'm a bit confused about: Both in this thread as well as on the donate page there are two images/links to two different paypal donate pages. The first goes to
  • Donation to the server kitty
and the other to
  • Miasma Servers (USD)
(From the links in this thread only the second is actually clickable for me btw)

So are both valid and just the comment will make sure the donation would go towards the new machine or which is the specific and correct donation button for this instance?

PS. You'll only get sent here once for each player name you use, on each MiA Server. Stick to one name and you only get pushed here once per server.

PPS. If you're wondering what will happen to the old parts from the server: I paid for the current hardware. Nobody in my family has a computer with as good a processor as the one currently in there - so the old parts will be used to improve our home kit.

I don't really get what you mean in respect of the player name, but I'll contact you regarding your hardware equipment, I might be able to help you out here.

Piglet

Fixed that for you. ;)

Ha! You could be right there!

That's something I'm a bit confused about: Both in this thread as well as on the donate page there are two images/links to two different paypal donate pages.
(From the links in this thread only the second is actually clickable for me btw)

Yeah. Now that is odd. Thanks for telling me. The Donate page link at the bottom of the page is using two different "buttons" - one for USD and one for GBP as you say. Those are done using Paypal's "form" buttons...which seem tempramental. The server colo-hosting fees are in GBP and the forum and DNS fees are in USD.

I had the same problem as you on this page when I tried it out....though the two buttons were identical. I've changed them both to links rather than forms. I hope they work now.

I don't really get what you mean in respect of the player name, but I'll contact you regarding your hardware equipment, I might be able to help you out here.

The code that lets people know of this page will (should) only show once per player name you use. The base code isn't mine but maybe it's to ensure that everyone using shared/warez/gog keys gets to see it.

What I was meaning about the hardware is that the current server hardware is something I bought, and once it's freed up I'll use it at home. It's a better machine than I have. My son is using the PC I had before this one...and my poor daughter is using the PC I had before that....it's not very good.... The CPU will probably go in my machine. The motherboard (with my current CPU) will become my boy's UT machine, and what he's using now will be perfect for my daughter.

Flenser

I kicked in a few pounds.

I had some trouble with the PayPal form — I wanted to use my credit card's currency conversion instead of PayPal's, but every time I chose that option, I got a "something went wrong, try again later" error. I think PayPal's soaking me on the spread between GBP and USD. Oh well.

As always, thanks to Piglet for not just keeping things running, but for making things better. Thanks to Justice for wrangling maps, and adding low-grav sometimes. Thanks to Dave and the other admins for being even-handed and keeping people civil. Thanks to all the players who make up this server's community. Thanks to anyone else I have forgotten to mention.

I hope you all have a safe and awesome holiday season!

— Flenser

Piglet

Wow! Thank you so much.

This is such a nice bunch of people. It's a pleasure for me to be part of keeping it going and trying to make things better where possible.

I don't have any suggestions about the PayPal form. I've no idea why the original working links stopped working either.

duke

I keep getting errors similar to what Flenser had, thought I had to raise my daily limit but then another error showed up in my bank account, I'll keep trying, though.

You could accept donations in cryptocurrency for the future - easy, cheap, fast and anyone can contribute.

Annihilator

• Kus on su raamat?
    • annihilatorsc
You could accept donations in cryptocurrency for the future - easy, cheap, fast and anyone can contribute.
Idd, 'twould be beneficial and convenient for the traffickers amongst us... >:D

Piglet

Ha! I managed to completely miss the cryptocurrency revolution

tirofijo!!

• bash the fash
i agree, bitcoins would be nice and faster, i lost my credit in credit cards XD

mustap-

last 11 added :) ;D

Piglet

Excellent news.

Thank you.

The first post at the top of this thread has been updated, and the banner on the games (which accidentally messed with Freon team balancer) is now gone.

kops

Well done and thank you to everyone who donated :)

Piglet

...and in latest news...the last of the hardware for the upgrade is due to be delivered here before 8pm today.

As I was typing that a van stopped outside. The driver got out holding a parcel from the right company....and went next door. Wrong size parcel. :(