General Zone > Technology Area

Tech help for hellfire? :)

(1/3) > >>

hellfire:
Hi tech guys,

Since I know that a lot of you are devs, I wanted to run by something I will implement on a production website.

There is a domain name change for a website with the content being exactly the same.

So, the topic: How to de-index the old site before submitting new site to google in order to avoid duplicate content penalty

Can someone concur that my steps are correct:

1. I put noindex in robot.txt for old site

2. Then I use the sitemap to submit all the urls which are indexed already to the temporary removal tool in search console (url+cache removal).

3. I shift old site to a staging server and programme it to return 401 gone or a 404 to indicate to google after 6 months that nothing exists.

4. Only once, I see the removal requests successful, I submit new site to google with the hope that no duplicate content penalty will be applied.

Can someone kindly confirm that I got it right as new site SEO penalty during covid will cost a lot of $$$ and honestly not good.

Lastly: Anyway to tell google to de-index the whole site at once than manually submitting each indexed url ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Hellfire

hagis:
google explains this somewhere - I think this is the one https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/crawling/site-move-with-url-changes

basically - setup the new content on the new domain, then put in 301 redirects that work for each page on old domain to point to the same page on new domain

what you put is definitely not a good idea,. the old site still needs to exist but put in 301 redirects

edit anyway - check with google - they know what they like :)

hellfire:
Hey Hagis,

Thanks a ton for the links. The old brand has zero need to exist. Meaning, the new brand wants to have a Fresh start. The old content (products) are only 55 in total and had only 2k impressions as this was a small pilot + near no social media.

So, the idea is not to transfer old rank to new site but to build new site's own authority from scratch and since it is a highly specific niche, I don't think it will take too much time.

Taking the above into consideration, do you think my steps are ok? My only concern is duplicate content due to improper noindex.

I will go through the links you sent but I think I might have read them during this weekend :)

Many thanks :)

Regards,
Hell

sup:
I did this many years ago with 301 redirect
I dunno if it's the correct way, but I haven't lost the authority of the old site xD

JP:
Will you be selling HellFire hoodies?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version