Intentional Match Ups  (Read 5745 times)

Kyhado

Intentional Match Ups
« on: February 03, 2022, 14:13 »
Didn't see my post go up so doing it again here.

I would like to see a strong 7 player team against 12 or 14 players or something of this type of match up. Top players picking the maps.

Maybe a discord group of players against a group of non-discord players, majority.

A UK team for example verses everyone else.

A weekend iCTF match that occurs.

Throwing out thoughts.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 14:17 by Kyhado »

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
Re: Intentional Match Ups
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 21:27 »
Maybe explain a little about why you want to do so?
In my philosophy, the moment you mix fun with competition, you kill the very nature of public matcha!
Quote from: Wormbo
You learn UnrealScript mainly by reading other people's code. Removing code without an important reason (download size reduction and lack of helpfulness are not important in that sense) is extremely antisocial IMHO.

Paul

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 02:59 »
I don’t understand the motivation of weak players to be cannon fodder. i think many aim will be happy

kops

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 09:44 »
Maybe explain a little about why you want to do so?
In my philosophy, the moment you mix fun with competition, you kill the very nature of public matcha!

To be fair, the nature of the game is competitive anyway. We had some great scraps on Titan both internally (admins vs regs) and against Cain's Lair (32p ONS blast).  I'm not sure about more skilled vs lesser skilled players but there's probably room for some form of organised team v team somewhere. It's been mooted here before and although there was a bit of interest in some kind of nations matchups, when it came to someone stepping up and organising it, the plan fizzled out.

holyspam

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 10:17 »
I remember a TAM game from waaaay back on iTS where the top 3 strong players vs bottom 7 and the game ended in 10-4 or 10-1 or something similar, it was not fun for us or the top players.
Dying 5 seconds after spawn or res is not fun.

This is equivalent to challenge mode on Freon which nobody seems to want to remove, despite how broken it is, which will punish a leading team, not the stronger team, just the leading team by dropping their starting hp/shield by 30-50.
So one team starts with 8 x 190HP and one team with 8 x 140HP(or lower), resulting in something that feels like 8v5.

Dying 5 seconds after spawn, because the enemy essentially spawns with a 50a is not fun.

This is even more obvious in regular 10 player DM, where one player can control the map until victory, if the rest is fodder.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:19 by holyspam »

Kyhado

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 13:55 »
Yes, its fun and competitive with our current matches and I'd feel the same even with arranged matches. I was just thinking about teams because of the progress on the balance script. More effort then it's worth perhaps just it would be interesting to see is all but certainly wouldn't be easy to setup.

3 vs 7 would not be fun since is gives no slack to offense or defense, 7 vs 12 is more reasonable.

hagis

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 13:55 »
challenge mode on Freon which works pretty well, which keeps the game fun and helps offset the fact team balancing will always be imprecise

besides that,. pre-arranged matches are fun,. HoC runs a winter tournament every year and SoL used to have a regular monthly or so girls Vs boys (LiC Vs DiC) match

I disagree pre-arranged matches remove fun,. on hoc+sol you have teamspeak with each team in their own channel,. something like 3 maps are played for the match agreed before time and there's friendly competition,.

generally on teamspeak or audio chat,. it adds a lot to the team play nature on freon,. I know something similar can be done on discord but mia doesn't seem to have a 'culture' of team audio,. it is really useful for matches at least

edit on hoc+sol - someone or admins who know the players balance the teams so you have mix of a,b,c players - creating matches of unbalanced teams I don't understand the value but with reasonably balanced teams the matches are fun

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 14:00 by hagis »

Kyhado

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 14:06 »
I'm not familiar with Freon so much so can't speak on it but in general since there's no prize it stays in the realm of competitive fun then just competition. Yea these type of matches would be better on voice.

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 20:24 »
Yes, its fun and competitive with our current matches and I'd feel the same even with arranged matches. I was just thinking about teams because of the progress on the balance script. More effort then it's worth perhaps just it would be interesting to see is all but certainly wouldn't be easy to setup.

3 vs 7 would not be fun since is gives no slack to offense or defense, 7 vs 12 is more reasonable.
Well thanks! I can group'em as per the country of their presence (UK vs Rest of the World) as long as they are true to their commitment.

For me it is a matter of writing 50 lines or so!
You learn UnrealScript mainly by reading other people's code. Removing code without an important reason (download size reduction and lack of helpfulness are not important in that sense) is extremely antisocial IMHO.

Blub

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 20:32 »
[...]

besides that,. pre-arranged matches are fun,. HoC runs a winter tournament every year and SoL used to have a regular monthly or so girls Vs boys (LiC Vs DiC) match
[...]

Good luck on convincing roaster to be the cricket every round ;D

Kyhado

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 21:03 »
Nothing static more of a try out or mix up

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 21:54 »
 8)

hagis

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 22:02 »
[...]

[...]

Good luck on convincing roaster to be the cricket every round ;D

Roaster used to play on the LiC v DiC games - was a lot of fun,. used to be some really good ladies play on hoc + sol :)