WebAdmin development for Equalizer  (Read 5323 times)

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
WebAdmin development for Equalizer
« on: February 20, 2022, 05:44 »
Howdy!

Since past few days, I have been working on the WebAdmin aspect of Equalizer. Since it has been aptly pointed that midgame balance may be relevant, what better option than web admin (yeah yeah console command could be there, but admit it, it is boring  >:()

So let me present the WebPage for Equalizer (under construction)

Few pointers
1. Logo remains!
2. Simplest possible list of assets is required, which include, window showing list of Human players on the server, Equalize button and that be it!!
3. If you want sample on how to contribute search in the folders Web/images/ existing in your UT2k4 installation.

The theme is "peace off"! *(yeah you read it right!)
Quote from: Wormbo
You learn UnrealScript mainly by reading other people's code. Removing code without an important reason (download size reduction and lack of helpfulness are not important in that sense) is extremely antisocial IMHO.

hagis

Re: WebAdmin development for Equalizer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 12:23 »
very cool,. being able to adjust any settings via webadmin is really handy

I will mention (and feel free to totally disregard!) on freon the balancer can be called "to do its thing" by typing teams in the chat,. freon has a setting to allow anyone playing to call teams (not personally a fan of that) or admin level users can always call teams
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 12:43 by hagis »

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 18:06 »
Yes you are right about that! A democratic voting system should invoke the TeamBalance function mid game. However I need to understand what "democratic" and "mid game" means in the context of CTF game play.

Should there be a majority vote, more than 50% of the players voting for equalization, (which could become frustrating(?) when ~15 player per team are playing) or just a single vote be enough (which would invite lot of abuse and thus, maybe, your apathy). Or should there be an auto mechanics which diffs the grand PPH of each team and triggers in when it reaches certain threshold. I believe the answer should come from Admin team.

The natural way seems to heavily monitor the PPH (or whatever metric Admin decides in future) distribution during the match progress and generate relevant charts followed by deep introspection and ethical decision making. I believe WebAdmin can really catapult this process without the haggle of logging into the game each time (especially with the monitoring part) and, whenever, Admin wants to gauge the match situation (say while on mobile).

Finally I just want to take a deep dive into Unreal's web engine and what better excuse than to work like so!
You learn UnrealScript mainly by reading other people's code. Removing code without an important reason (download size reduction and lack of helpfulness are not important in that sense) is extremely antisocial IMHO.

Flenser

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 00:37 »
Given that I can’t get a small handful of votes to kick people who take the bender by themselves repeatedly, getting a majority of players to vote to even up is never, ever going to happen.

Perhaps two votes (or three?) would be sufficient to trigger a rebalance.

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 03:04 »
Well that gives me an idea: how about giving veto power to trusted players whose judgement is never in question! Moi for instance.

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 13:50 »
lol..veto :D Have you seen the UN ;) No one can be trusted :D With new equalizer I am being placed with more noobs. No complain but I think that teamwork should have been quantifiable by maths. Eg: Some players play alone and dont help anyone. They are essentially maybe high in stats but absolutely not good to win as they kill whoever they see and then attackers must look for opportunities (what qudro is good at for example). So, these players should be distributed equally as each team should have the same noob factor to balance well ;)

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 14:41 »
So, these players should be distributed equally as each team should have the same noob factor to balance well ;)
Aaand what be the so called "noob" factor?
Do you have a metric in mind??

hellfire

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 14:47 »
To quantify : people who sit on manta wings should get 1 point each time , people who link to vehicles 1/2 a point, people who follow flag carrier 2 points , people who kill person with flag , 1 point etc ;) now the real question is how many of these events can be tracked using inbuilt functions.

In short, certain actions like the above are often done by teamplayers and lone wolfs will consistently never do. So, if such events can be tracked, we can easily profile team players vs long wolfs and ensure each team has equal team players. But I worry then games will go on and on lol

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 16:37 »
people who sit on manta wings should get 1 point each time

Can be done. But it is built in the private code (manta run)

people who link to vehicles 1/2 a point

Again private code can track it.

people who follow flag carrier 2 points

If you mean cover or double cover, already in place.

people who kill person with flag , 1 point etc ;)

Yeah pretty much happenin!

In short, certain actions like the above are often done by teamplayers and lone wolfs will consistently never do. So, if such events can be tracked, we can easily profile team players vs long wolfs and ensure each team has equal team players. But I worry then games will go on and on lol

Yeah we have been following Gil-Galad's statements on gauging players' reactivity and engagement in that sense. See https://miasma.rocks/index.php/topic,1682.msg21451.html#msg21451 and subsequent stuff.

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 16:39 »
But I worry then games will go on and on lol

Valid point! Too fortunate Equalizer isn't perfect! Because I wrote it!

hellfire

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 00:42 »
Awesome job and thank you for the detailed reply :) Reallly awesome work and thank you for putting in all the effort which makes unreal still my favourite game :)

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 19:34 »
Howdy!

Continuing with the WebAdmin component, the progress so far

Extremely sorry about the sharp black edges, but as evident, my artistic skills are all time low  :D