General Zone > Technology Area

HDD RAID Configurations

(1/3) > >>

Stealer:
Lo, all, never bothered with raids before (used to partition in from the days of dos, or dblspace ;) ), just bought seperate physical drives for my stuff categories (deliciously disorganized, yet I know where everything is).
Is it worth bothering with raids, purely looking at the speed factor increases? I was asking because I've got the parts for my new rig; pretty much everything except the case, gpu and hdds, I've replaced, just waiting for a day off before install, although I've already put the cpu and fan on (just waiting in the cupboard.
Ryzen 5 5600x
16 gig corsair ddr4 3600
Asus prime x570-p mobo
Corsair 850 or 750 f/m

Noticed the gen3/4 1 tb m2 are down to £80, I was like hmmm... 3.6 gbps thereotical speed before a raid.

Gonna buy 2x 1tb m2 drives and raid them rather than leave them unconfigured, noticed a lot of difference with load times on the latest games running an m2/ssd over a standard sata drive.

Is it worth doing or should I just get the 1 drive, current is a gen1 with <1 at present + old mobo and cpu?

Piglet:
I've always had a raid mirror of my data drive because I'm too lazy to back anything up...

Stealer:

--- Quote from: Piglet on April 21, 2022, 20:20 ---I've always had a raid mirror of my data drive because I'm too lazy to back anything up...

--- End quote ---
My backup is a literal notepad  8) Old School ftw!  >:D

holyspam:

--- Quote from: Stealer on April 21, 2022, 20:04 ---Lo, all, never bothered with raids before (used to partition in from the days of dos, or dblspace ;) ), just bought seperate physical drives for my stuff categories (deliciously disorganized, yet I know where everything is).
Is it worth bothering with raids, purely looking at the speed factor increases? I was asking because I've got the parts for my new rig; pretty much everything except the case, gpu and hdds, I've replaced, just waiting for a day off before install, although I've already put the cpu and fan on (just waiting in the cupboard.
Ryzen 5 5600x
16 gig corsair ddr4 3600
Asus prime x570-p mobo
Corsair 850 or 750 f/m

Noticed the gen3/4 1 tb m2 are down to £80, I was like hmmm... 3.6 gbps thereotical speed before a raid.

Gonna buy 2x 1tb m2 drives and raid them rather than leave them unconfigured, noticed a lot of difference with load times on the latest games running an m2/ssd over a standard sata drive.

Is it worth doing or should I just get the 1 drive, current is a gen1 with <1 at present + old mobo and cpu?

--- End quote ---
Fyi, modern nvme gen 4 reaches 4GB/s...per disk
No need for any raid, just complicates things, use the extra capacity as storage if you get a 2nd disk

Piglet:
What do you do if one of the disks dies? *cough* your bitcoins? *cough*

I think a mirrored raid setup is a bit of a no-brainer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version