Dementia  (Read 5967 times)

Stealer

• StealerNinja
Dementia
« on: June 13, 2022, 21:41 »
Not sure if anyone has experience with this ailment or not?
My dad has been taking a lot of prescription drugs since nearly dying and getting blood poisoning 15 years ago (taking 20 pills a day). My mum seems to think he has dementia, he has been forgetting some basic stuff, and I think its a by-product of all the (legal drugs he has been taking for soo long). I've spoken to a few of my clients about it (randomly) and they seem to think the quicker it is diagnosed the better. On the flipside I'm thinking if he has to take more pharmaceutical crap to slow down the rate of dementia, that's gonna be even worse for his internal organs. Anyone got any advice on this issue?
I'm planning to persuade him to get tested on Wednesday (sit down yap sort of thing), sadly this is unchartered territory for me.
Peace o/
Stealer.T32

sup

Re: Dementia
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 22:38 »
Your father may have cerebral hypoperfusion in some regions of his brain (especially the temporal lobe). I understand your apprehension, but yes, you should seek diagnosis asap

With the diagnosis defined, you can look for alternatives to delay the worsening of the condition or improve the vascularization of his brain (if this is really the problem)

But I agree, many drugs are more toxic than poison. I have chronic migraine and the drugs I took have messed up my brain more than the disease itself..

The problem is that drugs are approved without knowing the exact mechanism of action. It's like "not sure how this drug works, but well.. it's what we have" and then 20, 30 years from now they will be banned when they are better understood.

Anyway, you need the diagnosis to understand the problem and take action. There are alternative treatments without "drugs". For example, there are some studies with football players who developed dementia and improved with specific supplements.

Doing nothing won't help your father

Piglet

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 14:44 »
Get him to a GP and talk through from start to finish.  They'll assess and refer onward for tests and/or to speciallist as appropriate.

The system is pretty good at getting people to the right place at the right time. You have to take the first steps with your Dad to get into the system to start the process.

I wish you well.  My better 1/3rd worked for years in the area of acute dementia with the most affected in our region.

The earlier you get started the better. Don't hesitate. Book an appointment as soon as you possibly can.

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 19:14 »
Thanks guys.

@Piglet thanks again, your servers and forums have been a literal lifeline for me many years ago.

Quite funny the lunatic chronic depressive has now got his steez together and turned into a caring, semi responsible dude!
Stealer.T32

sup

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 20:11 »
?
I have no idea what you're talking about
I just tried to help you, feel free to offend me, it will help your father a lot

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 20:57 »
Lol, sorry no, that wasn't derogatory or aimed at you Sup. Apologies if you thought that!

Many years ago, possibly 2008ish on Piglets old servers, I had a bad reaction to anti depressant pills mixed with alcohol; I was suicidal for a while also had chronic depression for a decade without knowing why I was such a lunatic (didn't care about anything in life or my own). Luckily a few of the admins from Piglets old servers helped me (just by communicating with me and me playing freon).

I was the lunatic, I certainly didn't mean you dude!!!! Apologies if it came across that way. I'm more together now, that was what I was trying to convey. I'm sorry you weren't there years ago to understand what I was referring to. It seems you have caught the wrong end of the stick. Sorry for any offence caused it wasn't aimed at you sup!!!!

I really appreciate your advice and help sup  8)

If you ever need someone to pm, I am always here if you or anyone else wants to pm me/ or are struggling with depression. Been there got the T-shirt and am happy to help anyone on the forums. Depression is a real pig, it's the whole mindset of depression (it's almost like being stuck in a loop about depressive thoughts). Personally I found microdosing mdma helped me (not saying anyone else should do what I did, I just have a fervent distaste and distrust of legal pharmaceutical companies and their products). Companies that are designed to make profit rather than actually cure people - if they cured people outright then they would not make a profit, joys of capitalism and standard business practice. Also coming to terms and realising what I was depressed about was very beneficial to changing my thought patterns: to break the loop and taking small steps towards alleviating the issue helped me a lot.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 21:32 by Stealer »
Stealer.T32

sup

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 22:02 »
Lol ok, don't worry, I misunderstood, you thanked Piglet and talked about this "other guy", I assumed it was me because no one else said anything xD

U know, after arguing with Johnny I found that anything is possible

I can imagine your pain, feeling indifference and lack of purpose is the worst feeling a human being can feel
But it's ok dude, thanks for explaining, I'm glad you're better and able to help your father now. I wish the best for you two \o

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 22:27 »
Cool dude :)

Hehe, I only really know the guys on the freon servers which I have regular banter with, I occasionally play vctf but I really suck at it :( ONS was my thing, was better at that than freon!

Hehe, I just laugh at everything in life now, no point being down about anything: it's just a game until you run out of credits - make it the best you can :D
Thanks dude :)
Stealer.T32

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 19:41 »
*Update*
Went fairly well, he agreed to get a test next week, although he mentioned he had a test last year for Alzheimers/Dementia (I assume that is the same test?) and "passed it". Other than passing it he did say he forgot all words that began with P, which I suppose if you were on a gameshow or felt pressure maybe, maybe I'm just nit picking? He is 71, I can't even remember most of the nights before my day off (when I play UT really badly and drink 3+ beers)!  8) ???
Hopefully he remembers to book, I'll keep nagging him on steam till he does  >:D >:D
Stealer.T32

hagis

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 20:43 »
I think Piglets covered it and it sounds like you have a plan which is a good step

@ sup,. it was voltaire that said "doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all"

there are some good doctors though,. finding them isn't always easy but there are some good guys in there and they can help - they occasionally have the magic potion and sometimes not but they are still the best place to get help :)

charsi_baba_zzz

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 17:54 »
he has been forgetting some basic stuff,

As a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist/neurosurgeon I am inclined to disagree with you all. Memory loss is common in almost all mental illness and disorders.

Dementia has other symptoms like decline in linguistic abilities, has trouble using day to day tools like phones or any basic electronics, general cognitive decline and loose association of context during speech.

IMO it  could be Alzheimer's disease most likely not sure with the limited info provided. what kind of pills? what prescription pills, stimulants, or opioids?

NOTE: My opinion should not be taken as a clincial advice and would recomment to visit your nearest and  reputed  mental health professional.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 17:56 by charsi_baba_zzz »

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 18:04 »
Thanks for the input Charsi :)
Think he told me he passed the test again... Could just be old age? Who knows.
Stealer.T32

Piglet

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 15:44 »
he has been forgetting some basic stuff,

As a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist/neurosurgeon I am inclined to disagree with you all.

Not sure what part of what I said you'd disagree with?

Get him to a GP and talk through from start to finish.  They'll assess and refer onward for tests and/or to speciallist as appropriate.

The system is pretty good at getting people to the right place at the right time. You have to take the first steps with your Dad to get into the system to start the process.

I wish you well.  My better 1/3rd worked for years in the area of acute dementia with the most affected in our region.

The earlier you get started the better. Don't hesitate. Book an appointment as soon as you possibly can.

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 12:08 »
This discussion reminds me to nag my mother from taking a casual test as complained off hand to me that she thinks she is forgetting things. Good to read such topics and for stealer, this comes from someone who choose between medicine vs IT and has many med friends, an early diagnosis is ALWAYS important than late. When you detect anything early, you can apply the best of our knowledge to resolve the issue. The options become narrow as times goes on. In France, we have letters about mandatory age related checkup form social security as they realized it costs much less if detected early :) Cheers