GOG TO STEAM CD key change guide  (Read 4812 times)

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
GOG TO STEAM CD key change guide
« on: September 16, 2022, 13:43 »
Hi,

Steam app does not show you steam key for unreal 2004. So, if you have GOG and have Steam purchase, then read on.

1. GOG install creates CD key in windows registry. If you play invasion / other servers, this key is linked to your progress in them. So, NEVER lose this key.

2. Use UT2004RegFix 1.3 tool to first obtain and save your GOG key

3. Next install the Steam version of UT2004 in a DIFFERENT DIRECTORY (not gog install directory) and in a separate windows user account AFTER backing up your user.ini and UT2004.ini files (just in case as some servers might use additional info from these files  to track progress).

4. Run UT2004Regfix 1.3 tool to note the steam CD key.

Note: Steam will overwrite the GOG CD key in the windows registry. So, if you forgot step 1 , now you will never recover other server characters etc unless you recover old key. Windows 11 does not have separate registry value for different UT2004 install it seems (even if you install as a different win user).

5. Now you can delete the steam install.

6. Now you can run the UT2004RegFix 1.3 tool AS ADMIN (Compulsory to run as admin) and insert the new steam CD key. Path will be gog install directory and version is 1 .

Now you are done. Hope it helps.

NOTE: MAKE system restore point if shit happens. Make backup of GOG directory and keep aside. KEEP ALL KEYS back up before you start this process. This worked for me and might fail for others who might have different OS. Be very cautious and anything and everything is  at your own risk and hell cannot guarantee success or guarantee a no corruption if something fails. So, backup and remember hell cannot help as I am not unreal geek lol.

Note 2 : In step 3, I asked to install in separate windows user account. I do not know if this is a must but that is how I did it order to ensure separation of installs. Normally steam has its own folder where it installs the games it manages while you are free to put unreal GOG anywhere. So, use brains and common sense.

Cheers ,

Hell
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 13:50 by hellfire »

kops

Re: GOG TO STEAM CD key change guide
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 14:20 »
Nice, thanks chap.

Just a quick note - this guide above is only if you want to recover and retain your GOG key for play and stats retention on other servers.

If you do not need the old GOG key, the simplest way is to back up your ut2004.ini and system.ini files from UT2004 root (and the map cache folder if wanted).  Delete the ut2004 install.  Download the new version from Steam. Copy back those 2 files into root.

Daniel

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 14:03 »

hi hell ..

ty you so much for your advise .. will take some time to figure it out .. maybe we see tonight on the SERVER .. l-)

kind regards

lg

David

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 09:18 »
You are welcome :)