VR Headsets  (Read 15621 times)

Grim_Fandango

Re: VR Headsets
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2023, 20:45 »
Half-Life on the PC was awesome, but Half-Life: Alyx on on a whole new scale.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 08:52 by Piglet »
• Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, made up genders are from Uranus.
• It's all shits & giggles until someone giggles and shits.
• I wish I had the aim of an Eastern Bloc player.

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 22:24 »
Half-Life on the PC was awesome, but Half-Life: Alyx on on a whole new scale.

Fixed for you, took me a while to suss the links. You just need to take off the main part of the address upto the forward slash (/).
I was thinking of buying that the other day, but still at £50, so I'll wait for a sale, I think. Most of the games I've played besides Resident Evil 4 and Walking dead seem to be quite small, given they're only a few gig each, I shouldn't be too surprised.
VR is definitely the way forward in gaming, it kinda feels like a jump from 8 bit to 16 bit to me.
Probably the games I've played the most soo far: RE4, Thrill of the fight, The climb 2, super hot vr, VR fishing (I find it relaxing, nice fishing spots).

The standard headstrap on the meta quest 2 is pants, I'm gonna invest in the one the PS uses, a mate recommended it. Although it might be better if I get a metal weight for the back of mine. As the tech grows it should become much more comfortable and lighter...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 22:36 by Stealer »
Stealer.T32

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 23:17 »
Thanks for that...was wondering why it wasn't showing the video image  ::)

I can't recommend the Meta Quest 2 Elite Strap With Battery highly enough.
It feels heavy in the hand, but due to the better fitting strap, and the weight of the battery, it's extremely comfortable to wear and is well balanced.  I can use it for far longer periods than I can with the original strap.  I haven't tried the version without the battery, but would imagine it's just as comfortable.

There are cheaper head-straps out there, but if the battery were to explode, I'd like my widow to be able to sue Meta.  She'd have a far better chance of getting a pay-out than she would with some fly-by-night box-shifter in an industrial estate in Shandongsheng
  O:-)

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2023, 10:25 »
I can't recommend the Meta Quest 2 Elite Strap With Battery highly enough.
It feels heavy in the hand, but due to the better fitting strap, and the weight of the battery, it's extremely comfortable to wear and is well balanced.  I can use it for far longer periods than I can with the original strap.  I haven't tried the version without the battery, but would imagine it's just as comfortable.

There are cheaper head-straps out there, but if the battery were to explode, I'd like my widow to be able to sue Meta.  She'd have a far better chance of getting a pay-out than she would with some fly-by-night box-shifter in an industrial estate in Shandongsheng
  O:-)
I caved in at the weekend, ended up buying a halo strap as opposed to the elite strap from meta, was only £25, cured the facial pressure issue - I didn't actually realise the arms on the side of the headset moved until I replaced them fitting the new strap :))
Half life is good, upto chapter 4 now - it was on the steam sale :) Headcrabs freak me out more than 20-30 years ago!
Only problem now is the battery runs out before my head gets sore, definitely going to be the next thing to buy for me, again probably gonna go for a knock off, 1/3 of the meta price.

Some of the tricky city level above ^
Stealer.T32

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 16:37 »
Cheers for the heads-up, I've just bought Half-Life: Alyx for £19.99 in the sale (which finishes in 3 days time).

If you're not too bothered about being tethered to a cable, you can pick up a 10000mAh power bank for £14 and attach it to the VR with a USB-C cable.
Some power banks are small enough that they can fit in your back pocket.

The Quest 2 battery delivers 3,640 mAh, so the 10k power bank would knock that out the park.

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 22:25 »
Cool, yeah, I contemplated it (HL), thought it too pricey, then it was on sale the next day or so  :)) Nae bother mate.

Thanks for the info on the powerbanks, I'm going to have to learn/investigate more about the power banks before a purchase.
Nearly bought one off amazon this morning, checked some reviews and loads said the product was faulty and had to be replaced - it promptly got removed from the basket!

I recommend RE4 on meta store, think its about 8 gig, same size as old pc version (whole game + extras). Most VR games are quite tiny only a few gig, hence they feel quite short, even the levels on half life are quite tiny compared to the originals, but there seem to be a few that have a game completion time of over 10 hours: RE4, Walking dead.

I've read through a few different steam discussions and the Devs generally seem to recommend if you can to buy the games off the meta store, due to how steam VR works, from what I've also read there are some setting for steam VR to fix most of these, but you mostly have to edit some code etc - fine for PC enthusiasts.

If you want any discount codes for 25% off games (I own) in meta store, holla - haven't tested them yet
 - but should be fairly straightforward.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 00:49 by Stealer »
Stealer.T32

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2023, 21:45 »
I might give Half-Life: Alyx a go now that I've treated myself to a new laptop.  The visuals are impressive.

Aye it's good, although I've got to a tough part with 2 electric stingray things and lots of dead bodies about, I'm not sure I've got enough ammo to take them both out - I've essentially chickened out and not attempted it for over a month. There must be a way of shutting down the on screen display - noticed it displays on both my monitor and the headset, when there is no point displaying it to my monitor (wasted GPU performance).
Got pistol whip yesterday, shall have to give that a bout later. Also picked up walkabout mini golf (crazy golf), seems to work really well in VR; missus loves it.
Stealer.T32

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2023, 16:06 »
I haven't picked up the headset in a while, I'll need to hook myself back up to the matrix  8)

Could sure do with a few levels of Pistol Whip to lose a few pounds before my next holiday...the mankini isnt't fitting as well as it should. ???

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2023, 21:28 »
Could sure do with a few levels of Pistol Whip to lose a few pounds before my next holiday...the mankini isnt't fitting as well as it should. ???

Hehe I know the feeling. Just got mine back the other week, lent it to my 70 year old parents for giggles. Thrill of the fight is the one for me - I nearly collapsed after 3 rounds on outclassed (hardest) difficulty... although that could just be the beer exiting my system  :D Pistol whip is good, just not quite as energetic, still cool though - ty for the recommendation mon ami.

Quest 3 just got announced (yesterday) for Fall this year. I'm keen to see the technical specs: it looks like it could possibly be a big GFX & CPU jump - think the vid said double on both  8)

Apple also announced their release and price of $3.5K  :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 22:05 by Stealer »
Stealer.T32