No wonder at the decisions some people make in Freon  (Read 6987 times)

zeus

No wonder at the decisions some people make in Freon
« on: December 30, 2022, 15:13 »
I am reading the page https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/impossible-maths-exam-question-both-28818349 & https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/impossible-gcse-maths-question-stumps-28676357 and my face is full of "HMM?" and "WTF?" emotions...

"Surprisingly, the trick question failed to dint parents' confidence, despite their poor results. Of the 1,000 parents quizzed, 92% were unable to answer the question and 8% failed to get the correct answer" (!) and "Instead, Scottish students will sit a National 5 exam, to give you an idea of the age and level of students answering this question"

If my Google search is correct then it is an "advanced" exam question for 15 year olds??? (correct me if the conclusion is wrong)

I have 2 comments regarding this
a) this is a type of question that takes about < 5 minutes to solve
b) how is it possible that parents with years of real life experience are unable to solve this question? The same logic applies to many fields of work starting even from regular construction where you would have to calculate the surface area of a drywall with a particular shape, but you do not know how much drywall to buy...

*shaking head in disbelief*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 15:15 by zeus »

kops

Re: No wonder at the decisions some people make in Freon
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 23:13 »
The Daily Record is a red-top tabloid so understand that 90% of what is published is sensationalist crap. 

That being said, the quality of (maths) teaching in public schools in the UK has been on a downward slope for a long time. At the same time, not everyone has a mathemtatically-inclined type of brain and can be as successful, financially and otherwise, in many other fields.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 23:17 by kops »

hagis

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 15:47 »
people playing freon for different reasons and with different objectives,.

I don't know the answer on if it could (or should) be better and some you can just say is 'personal style'

if this is a btching thread,. what does my head in is players who just rush in every time and 1/2 the round is spent thawing them,. ok we'll all die and some games it happens more often but if the k/d ratio is consistently really not great across multiple games it's not great

and I don't even mean players who are just bad,. that I understand,. it's fine,. it's the players who can score 100 a match and rush every round to their deaths,. like they are indestructible,.

on general decisions,. I find the radar thing top left (plus radar rocks!) so useful,. not only to find some frozen teammate but you can also see where players are when alive to give some sense if they are being attacked and likely to die soon and also to get some sense of whether a particular direction is more or less likely to be safe to proceed, it's not just about the frozen (for me) :)

hagis

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 15:49 »
more importantly,. it's a game,. have fun and glad it's still played and happy new year (less btching in 2023?!) :)

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 10:32 »
players who just rush in every time and 1/2 the round is spent thawing them

Hehe, I do that sometimes, I must admit I'm guilty of that, it generally depends how much beer I've had. The more I drink the less tactical I get  :))
I will get round to playing again soon, got a lot of free time coming up as I've just left my job :) Although I'm still getting over a covid/manflu type thing at the moment...
Happy New Year Everyone  8)
Stealer.T32

SLAYER

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 11:17 »
where is my friend Hydra nab? Did u know? bitches?

Paul

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 12:10 »
Вау солнышко проснулось