Instaling ut2004 in Linux using Steam with Luxtorpeda  (Read 5768 times)

Gil-galad

• Hail the Holy Flying Spaguetti Monster!
Instaling ut2004 in Linux using Steam with Luxtorpeda
« on: February 21, 2023, 01:12 »
For those who would want to try out a Linux native install, I'll share the one I'm using now, since it should work for many Linux distributions.

It uses Steam to download the files, so one big limitation of this solution is that you should have ownership of the game on your Steam account, and have your cd key ready.

Install Steam before installing ProtonUp-Qt.  Close Steam, open ProtonUp-Qt, add compability tool and install Luxtorpeda.

Here's what you have to do after : go to UT2004 properties in Steam, force compatibility tool and pick Luxtorpeda. After that it should work

Here's a link to Luxtorpeda's github, if usefull.

So, aside from text to speech (doesn't work in Linux), there's one issue you may experience. The script installs a fix - foxWSFix - that's a bit buggy, I think, but it will let you select if you want to launch the game with or without the fix. I had dodge movements not working with it. Just be sure to launch the game without foxWSFix. I've seen a post of someone on omni forums having the same dodge issue with this fix.

I hope it works well for you too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 01:51 by Gil-galad »
His sword was long, his lance was keen.
His shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

The Fall of Gil-galad - J. R. R. Tolkien

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
Re: Instaling ut2004 in Linux using Steam with Luxtorpeda
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 07:41 »
That technically wouldn't be a native install if it's still using Proton compatibility tools, though, wouldn't it?

Is there a benefit to doing it that way instead of just downloading through Steam and using Steam's default Proton compatibility layer?
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.

Gil-galad

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 16:55 »
Perhaps one of the main advantages, from my noobish perspective, is that with this solution, ut2004 is installed without requiring you to tinker with anything else and it works, in many Linux distributions. Once you added Luxtorpeda, forced it in ut2004 properties in Steam, you just install the game with a click. The installation process seems to be simpler/easier/noob proofer, and if it works at least as well than your next workable solution, then in my book it's a better solution, for now, all the more when it seems to be a very distro agnostic solution.

One other advantage I see is that I had strange issues in my previous install ; I'm still not sure those issues came from the ut2004 install or from elsewhere ; what I can say is that I find this installation to be working better. Perhaps it's just me, but I do think it works better than the one I was using previously.

Luxtorpeda is a fork of Proton, it is using tools developed for compatibility, it's true, but it's using those to port games that have native Linux engines ; it specializes in "games using native Linux engines". Also, you're not very likely to have updates of any kind regarding ut2004, and in that Luxtorpeda stands out for games that have an available Linux native engine and are abandoned by their studio or whatever.

One thing I should mention, though, is that you should consider choosing Steam (Runtime) instead of Steam (Native) when you launch Steam to play the game ; Luxtorpeda is made for Steam (Runtime).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 02:15 by Gil-galad »

Gil-galad

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 17:24 »
Since i'm bound to overstep the extent of my knowledge trying to explain, perhaps this video could be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=94&v=jPMadeMedmM&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 00:11 by Gil-galad »

Gil-galad

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 19:09 »
After tinkering a lot with this, I uninstalled it. I prefer my previous install ; it turns out that this one does not solve the problems I was having, and introduced unnecessary complexity. It was fun to learn new things, but this solution turned out to be more cumbersome. 
I'll just say this : I wish Microsoft would be more Linux friendly with their keyboards.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 22:41 by Gil-galad »