Desktop vs Laptop  (Read 5561 times)

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
Desktop vs Laptop
« on: December 03, 2018, 15:35 »
Hi guys,

Who is using desktop for business and gaming? ;)

I always used laptops since 2012 but after losing 2 in 5 years, I was wondering about good old desktops.

Who think desktops are cool in 2018 and if not, why? $1000 can give me the best desktops?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Best,

Hellfire

[MiA]Dave

Re: Desktop vs Laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 16:16 »
I'm still in the desktop camp. Current machine is late 2013 27" iMac. I also use a 2nd 27" monitor for MiA server monitoring.
Machine is as fast as it was originally and plays UT with no issues (only game I play).
I work off of the iMac all day, every day and I've been impressed with it's stability, even after 4 annual OS replacements.
When you start aging, your eyes, and other body parts, start to go and hunched over a tiny 13/15" screen with tiny keyboard is a non-starter for me. Yes, I know that I'm already old. ;D

hellfire

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:29 »
Hey :)

Thanks for pitching in :) I won't afford your awesome setup yet ;) But am heading that way I guess ;) I am going to use my machine for business + IT work. So, reliable is key. Also, might setup a NAS to backup realtime in my old desktop/the laptop I am replacing ;)

I found a great brand. Do check it out ;) https://www.eluktronics.com/

You heard or them? I might go for them as they say openly the truth: Use high quality components. IF true, I rather pay them their just (really good) prices than pay big brands which let me down! I lost 1 acer an 1 Asus in 2 years. I blame the acer failure on a electrical surge during a business trip but who knows :(

Let me know f you have an opinion about the brand I linked ;)

I am also almost exclusively into UT2004 :D I still try and maintain a pain free experience as my "She is always right" part drags me to Tennis and swimming totalling 2 days a week minimum :P   

Best Regards,

Hellfire ;)

Nardaq_NL

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 06:17 »
IMHO  laptop and gaming do not combine. If you wanna play all-in-high, get a €3000 5kg brick which needs an additional 1kg PSU brick. Good luck carry it around.

Expect a laptop in the mid/low end with that price. I7 and a decent GPU (1050)for that price? nope... They start with €1000 and going up)

If you really want a "gaming" laptop that will last 5 year you need a 2k laptop. Application/games  keeps demanding  resources every year what will slow fast if you start mid range.

Please describe what games you expect to be running.

My first gen i7 (975) non-OC Desktop is still fast for what i do. (upgraded GPU and HDD to SSD once)  Internet stuff and a few games. This setup is 9 years old and still ding fine.

Models you can look at:

MSI GL series
Acer Predator
HP Pavilion
HP Omen
Acer Nitro
Asus ROG
Lenovo Ideapad
Razer Blade Stealth
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:40 by Nardaq_NL »

sup

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:55 »
I hate laptops
if I were you, I would buy a desktop and upgrade the pieces when I had more money

I bought this pc about 5 years ago (I've never had any problems, I didn't even format yet):

i7 4790k
Asus Z97-K
16gb Kingston hyperx 1866mhz
power supply: corsair 750w
1 Terabyte HD

I haven't bought a GPU so far (I'm not a gamer, anyway I work with rendering in vegas withouth problem)
at that time it was around $1000, but I already had 2 monitors

it stays on 24h, 7/7 and I use the computer for work a lot (marketing, video and image editing, paid traffic, code, wordpress,etc)

I already had a laptop that I used when I needed to go to another city.I hated it a lot...It started to get very slow and very hot
I ended up preferring to put my desktop in a suitcase and take it to that city, lol

my advice: if mobility is not something essential to you, buy desktop without thinking twice  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:13 by sup »

hellfire

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 12:55 »
Sorry for the delay but with no machine, its a tough life:

I am mainly interested in testing out VR which is probably what I will go other than unreal ;p

Can you kindly confirm if HP omen is a good buy without any heating issues. I am talking about this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D961VDH

You think it will last 5 years? ;) My other option was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G4GHBJV

Between MSI and HP which one would you vote? :) My girl lent me some cash to upgrade for Christmas :D

Thanks a lot SUP. I intend to buy a desktop after this laptop since next year maybe my business will see some good cashflow? ;) Am happy for you about your machines lasting so long.

2018 has been a tight year for me lol. Lot of investment and no return yet (but its normal during 1st year). Lets hope this new machine will last me a LONG time with the 1060 card ;)

Cheers and a quick reply can help since I order tonight I think ;)

Killer_XTREME!!!

• "Turn your wounds into wisdom"
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 23:28 »
Go for msi, I have the same variant GP62 series with 1050ti... But 5 years no chance 1060 can survive for 5 years hellfire and its the entry level card for virtual reality if thats what u want too. Imo go fr a gtx1080 laptop if u wanna survive 5 years simple.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 23:31 by Killer_XTREME!!! »

hellfire

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 01:16 »
The MSI has shipping issues :( Looks like HP omen is my way out. Any clue about it Killer? I guess I will have to wait for 1080 lol. U should check next  series which is already out ;) Please comment on HP omen (any known issues etc).

I am trying to see if I find another seller but if not then Omen? Tough time choosing lol. Thanks Killer :)

Killer_XTREME!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 04:07 »
HP is known for heating problems in laptops... It doesn't have something like a cooler booster technology as in msi laptops.
Don't go for HP gaming laptop that's all I can say

Krellsan

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 05:50 »
in any case, do not take HP. they have problems with overheating, they have problems with the work of two video cards (they do not see the discrete under any drivers and continue to use the integrated), they have a bunch of pre-installed software and that soft climb to update itself without asking any permission of the user. and I have not talked about the suddenly dying batteries, and the self-unscrewing chipset

Nardaq_NL

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 14:47 »
The GTX 1080  is there, but they are in the 2k range.

https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-gaming-laptops-top-5-gaming-notebooks-reviewed-1258471

For heating issues you need to look at stress test.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 15:01 by Nardaq_NL »

hellfire

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 13:28 »
Hi Guys :) Thanks a looooot for all your tips. Due to pressure of time (I needed a laptop for business) and holiday delivery time delays, I settled for an HP Omen 17 inch :D with a thunderbolt port to future proof ;)

Its a very good looking machine and damn powerful. The heating issue is there BUT NOT as bad as HP is famous for.

I rendered a video with the CPU in the 70s. G-sync screen etc.

So, all in all, am very happy with the price vs performance ;)

However, no way I can afford the 1080 OR a 2k range but I guess my work will pay itself this year to enjoy the latest vr.

Cheers ,

Hellfire

Killer_XTREME!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 19:25 »
Congratulations, hope u can kill me now >:D ;) c u in game