Windows 8 Consumer Preview Released  (Read 17215 times)

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
Windows 8 Consumer Preview Released
« on: March 16, 2012, 15:09 »

Windows 8 is the upcoming version of Microsoft Windows that follows Windows 7. It features a new Metro-style interface that is designed for touchscreen, mouse, keyboard, and pen input. It also adds support for the ARM processor architecture in addition to the previously supported x86 microprocessors from Intel and AMD. Its server counterpart is codenamed Windows Server 8.

Features:
Metro UI
Windows 8 will employ a new user interface based on Microsoft's Metro design language. The Metro environment will feature a new tile-based Start screen similar to the Windows Phone operating system. Each tile will represent an application, and will be able to display relevant information such as the number of unread messages on the tile for an email app or the current temperature on a weather application. Metro-Style applications run in full-screen, and are able to share information between each other using "contracts". They will be available through the new Windows Store. Metro-Style apps are developed with the new Windows Runtime platform using various programming languages, including C++, Visual Basic, C#, and HTML/JavaScript.

Other features
* A desktop app will be included for running legacy non-Metro applications. However, the Start button has been removed in favor of a hotspot in the bottom-left corner that opens the Start screen.
* Internet Explorer 10 will be included both as a Metro-style app, which will not support plugins or ActiveX components, and a desktop version which resembles Internet Explorer 9 and will maintain legacy plug-in support.
* Ability to sign in using a Windows Live ID. This will allow for the user's profile and setting to be synchronized over the internet and accessible from other computers running Windows 8, as well as integration with SkyDrive.
* Two new authentication methods: picture password, which allows users to log in by drawing three gestures in different places on a picture, and PIN log in, which allows users to authenticate using a four digit pin.
* Windows Explorer will include a ribbon toolbar, and have its file operation progress dialog updated to provide more detailed statistics, the ability to pause file transfers, and improvements in the ability to manage conflicts when copying files.
Hybrid Boot will use "advanced hibernation functionality" on shutdown to allow faster startup times.

Consumer preview download:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

// just a thread for discussing W8. I personally don't like the Metro UI at all so I don't think I'll be testing the preview. :)

xDizzY

• shawnilizer1
    • xDizzyHQ
Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Released
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 16:26 »
#getting ... but not testing preview, waitinng for the full thing

Snipe34

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 16:38 »
Notice at the vid start they showed GUI networking because they're aiming Win8 at touch-screen people who chat and look at pics and would soon get bored.  Other useful details were later in the vid.  And Windows Live... it came with GTAIV XD  Maybe there will be problems again with compatibility since they're only pushing Windows stuff: Windows Live - Explorer; Bing; Outlook...

Although besides the Windows apps it's the way things are going - even UDK has iphone; xbox code and they'll probably introduce a twitter connection :'(   But there's Google who are working on an operating system and want to take Windows' market... could be interesting.

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 17:16 »
Notice at the vid start they showed GUI networking because they're aiming Win8 at touch-screen people who chat and look at pics and would soon get bored.  Other useful details were later in the vid.  And Windows Live... it came with GTAIV XD  Maybe there will be problems again with compatibility since they're only pushing Windows stuff: Windows Live - Explorer; Bing; Outlook...

Although besides the Windows apps it's the way things are going - even UDK has iphone; xbox code and they'll probably introduce a twitter connection :'(   But there's Google who are working on an operating system and want to take Windows' market... could be interesting.

They can't accept that Bing failed. I don't even like that name "bing"  :D
I think what Google was making was just a minimal/simplistic Linux distro, targeting netbook users and such. Not really a competitor.

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 17:39 »
I heard that the OS that Google was making was a completely web-browser based one. So many rumors  :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 18:28 by 「sonar」 »
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.

N3Cr0

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 21:59 »
I think what Google was making was just a minimal/simplistic Linux distro, targeting netbook users and such. Not really a competitor.

Yes it is (comming with the newest Linux Kernel 3.2). They have previewed their OS a long while ago and you can even download it (haven't tested it yet, but I think it will never interest me):
http://getchrome.eu/

They wanted to make a faster booting OS which can also get installed in the device's firmware.
The OS is designed for internet surfing only, but you can also install some plugins/apps - actually it's just a webbrowser.
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 22:23 »
as I said, a netbook OS

Snipe34

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 00:43 »
omg so windows has the market

N3Cr0

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 00:48 »
IMHO it's best as it is:
Linux keeps being the safest OS because Windows stays more reasonable to attack.
Windows is a balanced OS for noobs and Pros
Mac OSX still sucks with zero functions :P

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 19:32 »

Windows 8 Drops Aero:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57437562-92/microsoft-opines-vista-was-cheesy-drops-aero/
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx

Squared corners and no transparency.  Pretty cool.
Back to the serious look of pre-XP Windows editions? :)

N3Cr0

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 19:36 »
I fear they will copy this ugly MAC OSX look and this is the first step.
Anyway, IMO Windows 7 is the prettiest windows (by default config) ever.

BTW, the Windows 1 screenshot looks cool - remembers me to FVWM.

EDIT: I wish Windows had a transparent terminal emulator (cmd) like most Linux users are using. That would be even prettier.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 19:40 by N3Cr0 »

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 19:49 »

So far, they they look like complete opposites to me...

[MiA]crazzy

• The Name is NOT only meant as fun :D
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 22:08 »
Well... I read much about Win8 and a friend of mine got a BETA of it... it sucks... definately one of the worst Windows ever... OK all got some bugs and such...
e.g. Win7 User-unfriendly look of the systemcontrols (if you don't know it)

Best Win was XP... definately

also : some programms won't work on Win8 as good as on Win7...
e.g. Fraps:It work with sone barriers (on  x86 and x64)
same for Skype

OK... you got to say too that Win8 will boot fater with an SSD than Win7 (22sec vs 35sec [HDD{47 : 53}])
BUT Win8 will copy files slower..  Win 7 SSD : Win 8 SSD (e.g. for 5GB) 112sec : 258 sec (thats a diff of 111%)

Microsofts fokus seemed to be to better handle on Touch- and Mobiledevices...

So underlined:

Windows 8 : W/O ME

It seems to repeat...
Win9 will fix it

N3Cr0

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 22:58 »
If you are a professional Windows user and want to unleash the whole power (also have some time to configure), then get a server OS (Win2003 for an old machine, or better: Windows 2008)
It even supports PAE till 8GB RAM in the 32bit edition (normal windows: 4GB - PAE useless).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 23:02 by N3Cr0 »

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 16:46 »
EDIT: I wish Windows had a transparent terminal emulator (cmd) like most Linux users are using. That would be even prettier.

You might be interested in Console2. http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/  ;)
It's just a frontend, you can use whatever command shell you want in it, even Cygwin. Has tabbed and customizable interface.

Just tried it out today, here's a screeny: