Server Upgrade Appeal - want a faster server? Help with the upgrade.  (Read 17468 times)

Piglet

All the hardware is here. Put together with a spare PSU, GPU, &  home made power button.

Configuring now

Piglet

Performance test 10

That single thread result is....nice...

This is the current server, for comparison:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 23:51 by Piglet »

Stealer

• StealerNinja
Wow, that's definitely a substantial boost. Nice one!
Stealer.T32

The_Coolest

That's a nice boost of almost 30% in single threaded loads, and a huge boost in general usability and multithreading. (is it important when running several maps/games?)
What's the CPU in the current server?

PS. I see that I typo'd my nick :D Piglet, can you fix it?

Piglet

When deciding to move from a rented virtual server on a shared machine to a dedicated machine we tried to explore the options.

One of the admins hired an Intel server which worked well...however the CPU wasn't available to buy.

We looked through the available CPU's and the best balance of single-threaded power, price and electricity usage at the time was the Ryzen 3600X.

As it wasn't entirely clear whether it would work OK I bought the hardware outright - taking the risk that it might not be good enough to run 32 player vCTF and the Freon server together. If it turned out that it wouldn't work it'd have been brought home and been my PC.

A year on we now know it was a good choice. We're running the game with 32 players rather than 22 players on the VPS, at over double the tickrate. The engine hits 100% CPU at end-game with 32 players on spammy maps - so this next generation of CPU's looks ideal.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 16:04 by Piglet »

Piglet

This afternoon and evening's vCTF play was on the new hardware. It was a useful playtest. I hope it felt nice and smooth.

Maybe more tomorrow....after some tweaking (but no twerking).

The_Coolest

So the comparison benches are 3600X vs 5600X? That a pretty decent step up in performance.

Didn't a get a chance to play yesterday, maybe today.

Piglet

The servers are planned to be down without warning from about 17:30BST today so I can install the new hardware in the case at the datacentre, configure it, and potentially arrange new cabling and secondary networking.  I can't confirm for sure it's going ahead until it happens. I don't know how long it will take.

Piglet

Configuring the server:

Boxed up, ready to go:

Installing in the case....not exactly cramped in there is it?

The door is as secure as it looks!

Pick the right row:

Nice quiet spot:

wife

---
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 14:57 by wife »
---

MajorTom

i'm impressed !

}TCP{Cloud

• Full MemberĀ 
  • If everything is a dream, don't wake me up.
    • Cl04d
Nice work on our servers Pigs, photos look nice.

hagis

I don't know it's useful but perhaps interesting,. can overclock limited number of cores and keep the overall temps stable (perhaps?!)

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-ryzen-cpu-5ghz-clocktuner-software-overclock/