When you go to reinstall windows and forget...  (Read 4276 times)

Piglet

When you go to reinstall windows and forget...
« on: October 30, 2019, 23:31 »
When you go to reinstall windows on an old drive and forget to unplug your raided data drives

When you delete the existing partitions and then suddenly remember the data drives in the other drive bay and think that just perhaps you've deleted all the code you've ever written, all the saved passwords and security details you've ever saved, all the family photos you've been meaning to back up to those fancy archive disks you bought a year ago, all your emails and saved login details in the browser...etc etc

Arghhhhhhhhh!

You power off, reconnect the old boot disk...and fire up again...

And find it's all still all there....

Time to do a backup!

[MiA]Dave

Re: When you go to reinstall windows and forget...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 01:48 »
That’s why my NAS is a separate box. I’m even hesitant to put the Ubiquiti controller on the NAS. I’m afraid to put anything but my data on it.

[MiA]Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 01:49 »
We’re too old for our hearts to get surprises like that. 😎

Killer_XTREME!!!

• "Turn your wounds into wisdom"
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:42 »
Ahh Your very lucky piggy, I once lost my data coz of this very mistake by formatting my data drive instead of my old windows drive during new installation, I wanted to kill myself for that error, it hurts xD

tirofijo!!

• bash the fash
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 13:14 »
one sunday, oh blody sunday, i was doing the 3 year backup of my laptop, from friends photos to thesis documents, bought 2 tb external hardrive to do it, and leave it there coping that while i went to lunch, 1 hour after came back and house was a mess, thieves came in and took everything, even my headphones godam, i still cant rapair that error. Now i have all data under heavy real security. lol. not.