Freon....a plea to the last player alive.  (Read 5584 times)

kops

Freon....a plea to the last player alive.
« on: January 13, 2020, 16:43 »
Seen way too often recently. If you hear those pips and it's you vs the rest of the other team, unless you are damn good, you are not going to take out those 5 enemy players on your own.

Your job now is to thaw. Back out of that firefight, go find your teammates.

holyspam

Re: Freon....a plea to the last player alive.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 17:22 »
Whatever your skill

1)make it top priority to thaw, the next person might get super lucky

2)the thawing sound is LOUD, if others didnt hear you, you only get lucky once, dont interrupt thawing only to start again

3)the moment you begin thawing someone your goal is to thaw them fast even if it means death

4)try to stay as far away from the enemy team as possible, so they cant hear you or see you

5)be stealth about it, dont move a lot if you dont have to, shoot only AFTER they see you

6)if you have to shoot, the intent is to complete the thaw and keep others from killing you even for a second, it might be enough to thaw

7)choose the easiest and most hidden thaw, not the good players

Now...if i could stick to the last one, i could have turned many "last rounds" to comebacks

Extra advice:

7)two people can thaw one player in 5 seconds, three people can thaw the whole team in 5 seconds

8)DONT SHOOT WHEN THAW PROTECTION IS ON

Piglet

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 18:58 »
I am considering a change in the logic to have loss of thaw protection when you start thawing... 

kops

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 20:42 »
Spot on, holy.

As soon as you see frozen people on the radar, start heading in that direction. If you come across someone en route then yeah, shoot away but do it while you´re thawing your teammate.

hagis

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 11:16 »
ah people play differently,. and there are more scenarios than is easy to cover here

if most of the other team is alive thawing is a good idea,. shooting first in that scenario can draw attention when otherwise you might go undiscovered

the removal of thaw protection confuses people, ok even if you know why it happens (currently) you don't always know if you thawed next to some other teammate,. the main problem I see with it currently,. if you stack frozen and sit there with goo it's impossible to get away,. ok you could say that's a valid strategy but it's a suck one in my opinion

the idea to avoid whole teams getting thawed quickly - sure but that's part of the fun of freon seeing reversals when a side thinks it has the round tied up and that gets switched around

my view,. please no more complexity on removing thaw protection :)

hagis

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 11:22 »
actually - part of the reason we see the whole team get thawed and a reversal that needs to be countered,. is because of full health thaws,.

freon usually would have team health set so you are wearing the other teams avg health down throughout the round,. but with full health thaws that game mechanic is lost

the 3spn health setting on the server I think the minimum thaw health is set lower than other freons - that can be a little higher

hagis

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 11:32 »
ok - another way round,. instead of removing thaw protection,. in any scenario,., instead if a player has thaw protection they are not able to thaw whilst the protection is in place

that removes the issue of being able to thaw whist protected in a way that doesn't remove the protection

holyspam

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 14:37 »
Combos should disable thaw protection too.

I've found myself thawed many times with 100+ adr, i use the res combo and i still have thaw protection, it feels kinda like cheating.

wife

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 23:57 »
---
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 14:50 by wife »
---

}TCP{Cloud

• If everything is a dream, don't wake me up.
    • Cl04d
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 09:28 »
Yes, thats a good one there imo..
Combos should disable thaw protection too.

I've found myself thawed many times with 100+ adr, i use the res combo and i still have thaw protection, it feels kinda like cheating.

Piglet

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 10:33 »
I'll have a look at the code for that next time I have some time. As with pretty much all gameplay changes I've introduced I'd make it server admin configurable.

Piglet

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 22:15 »
It's running today with res = protection removed...I forgot about it and was promptly killed while I thought I was still protected...so I think it might be working.

I couldn't think of a way to test it with 1 player!

hagis

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 18:28 »
I think this thread is likely preaching to the converted but something I notice more than once

it's worth always being aware of how many of your team are alive Vs the opposing team,. in the case where there is a single player left on the other team and your team is mostly alive,. don't bother trying to thaw your team - especially if you know where the remaining opponent is located or have a fair idea

you have a limited time to whack a mole and freeze the entire other team.. if there is only one of them you can end the round very quickly by killing them,. stopping to thaw your friend is good normally but not when there's a single player left,. those extra seconds to thaw could mean the opposing team thaws and then you are back to square 1 :)