Hi again!  (Read 10221 times)

Molgan[ApA]

Hi again!
« on: August 15, 2020, 22:10 »
Well I'm not new, in any context, but I just registered. Think I might have an old account here but made a new one. Hope to frag you more often now, and maybe make a map in game mode of your choice.
Drunken_Ninja

wife

Re: Hi again!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 22:57 »
---
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 14:56 by wife »
---

DNT.GR

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 00:44 »
Welcome !!

}TCP{Cloud

• Full MemberĀ 
  • If everything is a dream, don't wake me up.
    • Cl04d
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 06:29 »
Welcome to the boards!

Piglet

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 09:59 »
Welcome!

If you're in the mood for mapping what we're really looking for are maps for Freon that play as well as Contrast or Goose. Lots of Z action, excellent flow with different routes. Not too spam or hitscan biased.

It's a really difficult balance to get. Those two maps get it right.

Molgan[ApA]

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 00:12 »
Welcome!

If you're in the mood for mapping what we're really looking for are maps for Freon that play as well as Contrast or Goose. Lots of Z action, excellent flow with different routes. Not too spam or hitscan biased.

It's a really difficult balance to get. Those two maps get it right.
Thanks! I have always liked Goose, Soma made some good maps. Contrast I don't like the look of, but it plays well from what I have witnessed and experienced. =) Freon is a challenge, I spect a few games last night and was blown away by the action, some really talented players. Must have been camping freon servers for ages = Tough crowd to map for. But a challenge must be accepted. Don't get mad if some noob joins in sometimes and fux up the game, I'm just doing research..
Drunken_Ninja

Piglet

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 10:35 »
Yeah. You're right. Contrast isn't pretty but it has the right layout for great gameplay.

The best maps for Freon appear to have multiple z axis levels, and lots of different routes round the map to choose from. Not too cramped to prevent effective hitscan, whilst at the same time not being too cramped to make spam overpowering.

Lifts. Yes, we like good lift jumps....

kops

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 10:41 »
Re pretty, I think what makes goose / trast / remedy such great maps is that there is not a huge variance in wall / floor textures or distracting features. It is all gameplay.

hagis

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 11:15 »
have to weight in on the question of what makes a good map for freon! :)

it's about balance,. you want a few open hitscan areas and variety of tighter areas for more tactical shooting (some might call that spam!)

like pigs says, for freon there should be more than one route typically to get from one area to another,. but not so many routes that it's too difficult to find the last unfrozen player

adding Z I think helps generally because it gives more routes and lift jumps between areas means the map can be traversed quickly - so you don't end up running huge distance to get from one side of the map to the other (i.e. the total volume of the map is kept reasonable but it creates space available so 8v8 doesn't turn into a spambox)

or something - sounds simple !? :)

zeus

• Full MemberĀ 
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 18:36 »
I SUPPORT ADDING Z-s

ALSO - WELCOME

Molgan[ApA]

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 21:32 »
Lift jumps, jump pads, no map is alive without it. The only map I built without it was my first and only ONS map that nobody heard of (I love onslaught, but mapping for it is so mind wrecking). Z is great, as long as not one Z direction is too dominant (get on top = win the game). The mentioned maps are great examples of preventing that. hagis put the finger on the big challenge with freon: You are too f----g picky! :D No, kidding, but what you say is it's about balance and not just throwing out resources and let players make up the game play. The map layout is the resource. No nodes, flags, DD, super weapons, just the map and the opponents. Tricky. But interesting.
Drunken_Ninja

GPREZQ

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 22:49 »
Hi Molgan[ApA] welcome

Blub

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 23:26 »
I SUPPORT ADDING Z-s

ALSO - WELCOME

At least this time not by impregnating innocent cows...

Hi Molgan, welcome back.

Molgan[ApA]

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 18:42 »
..and thanks for all the welcomes!
Drunken_Ninja

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 19:42 »
Hi :)
Stealer.T32