Freon - Mia Version - Tips and hints and how to play  (Read 46019 times)

Piglet

Re: Freon - Mia Version - Tips and hints and how to play
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 15:45 »
Yeah...the balance of 'do I should or do I get ammo' decision..

Piglet

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 23:41 »
Changes to the gameplay:

Change 1:

Re-written the logic at the point of thawing (ReTrigger() is now in Freon.uc where it should have been the first time I wrote it, if you're following the code) . My previous code here was a bit of a hack, and relied of unrealscript keeping hold of objects after they were destroyed. Now re-done a little better.

When you thaw you should (if the new code is working):

a. Start healing close players if they are lower health than you as you thaw (old code did this hackily)
b. Start thawing close frozen team members (old code did this hackily) - however if that happens you lose thaw protection (new).

If you're not in thawing range of any frozen players you keep thaw protection as normal, even if you start to thaw.

Change 2

You can now humiliate icicles even more by standing on them...and doing a dance if you like...

Change 3

Trying making Suiciding or Kamakaze is less attractive. You'll be thawed much slower by teammates (configurable from WebAdmin but trying 60% of normal speed as a trial)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 22:47 by Piglet »

Piglet

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 12:56 »
Frozen players now marked "Kamakaze" if they died by killing themselves (I can't differentiate between accidental and deliberate). These players will actively thaw slower than players not marked like this.

Piglet

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 22:50 »
OK - had a play with textures for the first time tonight.

Players who kill themselves thaw slower.
Players who freeze themselves and land in lava (or are immediately pushed in) lose thaw protection and die there.

I've got a version of the code where the frozen icon is:

*  a very small red skull and crossbones when self-killed while landing in lava means death:

* a very small suicide prevention ribbon while self-killed and it's ok to land in lava and thaw

* otherwise the normal icon

Is it worth leaving the current wording "(Kamakaze)" after the player name when there's the ribbon, and/or "(Kamakaze no lava)" when there's the skull....or not...or some other wording... or is just the icon enough?

The icons are small.

Thoughts...

Trying with just the icons for now
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 23:12 by Piglet »

Krellsan

• Full MemberĀ 
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 05:32 »
Piggy is such a troll, lol

Piglet

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 09:13 »
That's a different ribbon!

If you can find better image I'm interested.

Maybe someone with artistic talent can do one for this purpose... Kops?

kops

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 10:01 »
Something like this?  Figured there's no point having writing on it since it will be so small. IMG code is warping it for some reason - lines are smooth in actual image. Give me any tweaks you need.

Oh and btw it's kamikaze :)     Still probably worth having the words, certainly for the first few weeks while ppl learn to make the visual connection between the icon and the state of the player.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:11 by kops »

Piglet

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 10:20 »
Thanks. Have a look in the server ... Self kill and see them when using the images posted above. They seem pretty small. 64*64 is tiny on the screen.

Ut uses textures in powers of 2, and I've not investigated what would be needed for slightly bigger images here
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:24 by Piglet »

kops

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 20:52 »
3 times today I've walked over a  powerup but it wasn't picked up. Rankin and twice on Goose. Gone over them several times but they're still there, spinning, smirking at me.  The third time, it disappeared after walking over it a couple of times but I didn't get any adren/shield.

Piglet

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 21:35 »
Were you full health or sheild for the first two and full adren for the third?

kops

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 08:34 »
Took a screenshot of the Rankin one: near full health but not full shield.  Pretty sure I wasn't full h/s/a on the other two but cannot confirm. Will keep an eye out in-game today.

Piglet

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 18:05 »
Looks like high health. If you can't use it you can't pick it up.

For some reason the adrenaline pickups can be picked up even when you have 100... maybe one to add to the 'fix' list

hagis

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 17:22 »
only just read  this post,,. one thing I noticed recently is thaw protection doesn't always seem to come on,. reading now it looks like it won't be on if I happen to thaw near a frozen teammate,. wha,. I may have no choice about where I thaw,.

I kinda like the old behaviour,. as you get a few seconds free from being shot at to try and get your team up before running away,. works well if for some reason the other team has stacked the frozen or everyone is froze in the same place

Piglet

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 21:56 »
Yeah - It adds a new aspect to thawing.

The problem without this is that I've fixed the thaw radius problem

Previously when you thawed by a teammate you had to move out of trigger range and back again before you started to heal the live teammate or thaw the frozen one. With that fixed so that you start thawing near teammates you had long enough with thaw protection on to completely thaw all the teammates you were close to without any way of the enemy fragging you or stopping the thawing from happening. All you had to do was not fire!

You still get thaw protection if you're not within thawing range of a teammate when you thaw.

The dynamic this creates is that groups of frozen players are still good for thawing, but there's a risk that they can be killed without generating an unstoppable thaw group all with thaw protection. Before I did this there were times when almost the entire team was thawing and thaw protected, and able to thaw any teammate that got fragged before losing their own protection. The group of players thaw time was so quick it wasn't actually worth shooting at them!

hagis

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 22:00 »
yeah,. I see what you're saying,. thaw protection is handy,. guess I'll have to pay attention as to whether it's on or not :)