New server! Feel free to help.  (Read 14848 times)

miley.cyrus

Re: New server! Feel free to help.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2019, 19:50 »
Friend request sent. Thanks.

Does anyone know any utility that allows an extermal call to get CPU utilisation % per logical core on a machine so that I can add it to the server monitors?

CPUMon
"CPUMon is a simple little gadget for monitoring CPU performance from your desktop. It displays a real-time graph of CPU performance as well as current usage indicator. Features include user defined colors, transparency, alpha-blending, adjustable update rates, layout presets, window locking, constantly updated CPU speed for mobile and speed step processors, tray icon mode, statistics, memory usage, and more.

It comes integrated with a sophisticated processor detection toolkit which provides detailed CPU information, list of supported CPU features and other specifics."

https://www.den4b.com/products/cpumon

screenshots
https://www.den4b.com/screenshots/cpumon

download
https://www.den4b.com/downloads/cpumon

I use the portable version to show my intel q6600, 4 cores

Piglet

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2019, 19:55 »
I'm using HWInfo on the machine to monitor it, but can't see an API to remotely monitor on either. It would be useful to show players complaining about "lag" what the CPU is doing

THOR`

• anxious_f0x
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2019, 20:58 »
I'm wondering if the increased fire rate and weapons drop on death could be contributing to the performance problems some people are seeing client side, UT2K4 never played nicely with high player counts to begin with so adding those into the mix may well just be too much certain CPU's.

I spectated briefly and managed between 140 - 200 fps, my system does have pretty decent per core performance and none of my cores are anywhere near 100% load (Intel Core i9 7940X @4.6GHz) so it's not so bad here, for people on older machines however I can image it being much worse.

Doesn't seem like much can be done server side to help with that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 21:00 by THOR` »

Piglet

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2019, 21:22 »
You're probably right about the dropped items. The client needs to be told where each thing lands and what it is. That compounds the problem of limited bandwidth between game engine and client.

There's lots that can be done in maps to isolate areas so that the engine knows that it doesn't need to include anything from outside. There's things like removing spiders - every spider is yet another channel needed...but when you have 30 players in a box (facing ass, for example) with berserk mod, dropped weapons, spiders, rockets, and flak primary etc I'm not entirely sure there's going to be any way to get all that information in the available space.

It would be interesting to try the map with 30+ players and only shock.

THOR`

• anxious_f0x
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2019, 21:56 »
Might be something to try doing over the weekend, I should be around most of Saturday so I don’t mind being an extra body on the server to help with the load.

I guess the maps also play a large roll in performance, I doubt many of them were created with 30+ players in mind or even vehicles come to think of it.

One of the other roadblocks I can see would be, if we did find a way to increase the amount of information pushed to the client from the server, would people then have to make adjustments client side to make use of it?

Hopefully Flak gets back to you with something useful.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 22:19 by THOR` »