Transfer unreal to new pc  (Read 7158 times)

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
Transfer unreal to new pc
« on: January 12, 2019, 13:54 »
Hi guys,

Need some help :)

I want to transfer my unreal from old to new pc since I have some characters saved in another server. I seem to have lost the CD /file from where I had installed the game since it was years back.

So, now I have a working pc with game in it and a new one. Any clue how I can transfer the game into my new one WITHOUT attaching the drive to the new one since no slots left :(

Best Regards,

hellfire

Piglet

Re: Transfer unreal to new pc
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 16:18 »
Share the hard drive from the old PC and map network drive on new PC - copy files over. Copy the entire UT2004 directory

Use "UT2004 Registry Fixer" to set up the registry entry for your CD key (possibly from here)- that will let you easily find and see your cd key on your old PC and also set it up on your new one.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 16:22 by Piglet »

hellfire

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 20:30 »
Hey :)

Thanks for the links. I sort of had reached the mapping part as an option when I was trying myself. Was stuck with exactly the steps you mentioned :)

Will give it a shot when I find the time. (Tough work week) ;) Playing in old pc is a pain in the ass since my old laptop display is busted and I have to look right to play :D This is since November I am playing like this!

Will update u in a few days :)

Thanks and best Regards,

Hellfire

hellfire

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 20:55 »
Fuck work lol..I did what you said and found the key (Million thanks as u saved a level 200+ character :) )

Now, just to clarify, I copy all the ut directory to new pc. Then, I install your software in the new pc  and restore the registry after putting in the old key in your software I suppose? Or do I need to plug the key into the game somewhere?

Thanks a lot :)

Hellfire

Piglet

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 22:47 »
Yes, copy the entire ut2004 folder, then plug the new location into the reg fixer on the new machine - together with version and key from the old machine

hellfire

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 00:21 »
Hi,

Can you please let me know how to overcome this error everytime I run the fixer. https://prnt.sc/m6ftqb

You think anti-virus or firewall? New pc and don't want to poke anything as lot of work with deadlines ;)

Run as admin is my logical thought but only if you vouch for the code :D

Thanks a lot for the guide the link and for helping me get back to my new pc  :)

Best Regards,

Hellfire
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 00:32 by hellfire »

Piglet

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 14:05 »
I think you may to right click the app and run the executable as administrator for it to be able to write to the registry.

I can't vouch for the code - but I've been using a copy of it for years with no issue.

Your alternative is to manually insert the entries using regedit or use a script to do so - see https://www.regfiles.net/registry/unreal-tournament-2004-registry
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 14:07 by Piglet »

hellfire

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 15:03 »
Success :) :) Thanks a ton mate :) It REALLY meant a lot :) :)

See you soon in the game during work breaks ;)

Best Regards,
Hellfire

Piglet

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 21:04 »
Yay! Which route did you take to get the registry entries in?

hellfire

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 10:52 »
The editor which you had linked :) Thanks a ton :)

Just a quick question, is it safe to play online from old laptop as long as I am offline from the new one?

I don't want key conflicts etc. Btw, I am getting copy of sales :D

Best,
Hellfire

Piglet

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 11:29 »
I think it's not a problem. We see multiple concurrent connections from the same key with no issues. Obviously it's best to have a distinct legit key on each copy.

As an example, see this: http://punter.vengefulllama.com/status/traq_result.php?GUID=71d5bc2350a20816a36b2cd2c7ee76ec

hellfire

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 12:29 »
Thanks :) I will now have anyway an extra key after buying from steam. I am going to install steam and steam games in a separate account in the laptop to prevent any conflicts ;)