Firewall leaktest  (Read 8929 times)

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
Firewall leaktest
« on: January 29, 2011, 23:47 »
Think you're safe?

Go to this page to find out:
http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

Click the download button, and run. It's pretty straight forward.

^ if you get this message, I recommend you getting a decent firewall, such as Zonealarm

Snipe34

Re: Firewall leaktest
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 00:39 »
my firewall wouldnt let it run.  I suppose that's good...?

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:21 »
If you can't even run this app then that has nothing to do with firewall.
To test firewall, you must be able to push the "Test for Leaks" button. If you couldn't run it, it means you haven't been able to push it and do the test.

Snipe34

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 16:37 »
I can run it, but the firewall doesn't want me to run it.

Snipe34

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 23:54 »
ah so, 2 Raj's.  Wifi Raj and standard Raj.

[MiA]Pepe

• Defy the tyrannous stars
    • http://steamcommunit
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:44 »
An alter-ego kinda deal lol just kidding raj XD

BTW I might wanna get that zonealarm lol machine breached
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:47 by [MiA]Pepe »

Over n out.

[MiA]Pepe

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:02 »
I got that zonealarm and so far I am liking it. I could download that Comodo one but I didn't like it that much.
Oohh I just saw it was my fault lol .. windows firewall was disabled!! Anyway I guess I'll continue with this zonealarm or there's no need? I guess extra (and free ^^) protection is always good.

Thank you very much for the tip raj!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:05 by [MiA]Pepe »

Over n out.

Snipe34

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 16:31 »
Yep Zonealarm is good.  We used to pay but it got expensive.  After that we got AVG with firewall and that was good.  We also used MalwareBytes - free, detects bad shit.  But our new isp gives us McAfee full, free but slows our older machine because it uses so many resources - the fast machine np.  So the old machine we use AVG free and Zonealarm free, and of course MalwareBytes.

[MiA]Pepe

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 20:07 »
Hmmm very nice to know all that. So many shit coming up with that zonealarm that I'm scared lol.
Thx for the info sir.

Over n out.

Snipe34

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 22:06 »
Hmmm very nice to know all that. So many shit coming up with that zonealarm that I'm scared lol.
Thx for the info sir.

'Shit comming up' I know what you mean. There is also the option in Firewall - you choose what to allow (to connect to the internet) - or, 'let the firewall choose what to allow.'  I always pick: 'I choose what to allow.'  But the firewall I think knows when you're being attacked... I hope :)

After installing firewall, it asks question about every program that wants to connect to the internet.  But after a couple of days, no more questions.  Not until you install a new game/prog.  By then you realize what's going on.

I think websites sometimes install viruses and trojans but the firewall doesn't notice them being download (so I use MalwareBytes).  Firewall 'doesn't notice' until the program wants to connect, and the firewall asks, "do you want to allow this program to connect to the internet?"  If you're not sure which program is asking, you can check with Explorer.  Or check online: enter the name of the program in your search.

Also, press ctrl-alt-delete > Processes brings up what programs are memory resident.  If you want to find out what a program in the Processes list is, do an online search for it.  Like search for smss.exe and some webpages will tell you what it does.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 22:09 by Snipe34 »

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 08:52 »
Oohh I just saw it was my fault lol .. windows firewall was disabled!! Anyway I guess I'll continue with this zonealarm or there's no need? I guess extra (and free ^^) protection is always good.

Zonealarm just monitors all incoming/outgoing connections. Windows firewall does not block outgoing connections (atleast not in XP, not 100% sure about 7).
So, for example, if your outgoing connections are not monitored: when you download a keylogger unknowingly and execute it, the keylogger can connect to Internet and send your keystrokes somewhere.
However, if you got Zonealarm or something, the keylogger would be automatically blocked until you choose wether to allow it to connect anywhere or not.

Thx for the info sir.

No need to be scared. The point of it is to give you an option wether to allow or not allow some certain app to connect somewhere.

You can tick the checkbox "remember my choice" or something like that. Even if there's no risk, you might wanna block some legit stuff too - not everything needs to be connected to Internet (eg Photoshop).

If you don't know what's trying to connect to Internet, google it to know what program the process might belong to.

Also, press ctrl-alt-delete > Processes brings up what programs are memory resident.  If you want to find out what a program in the Processes list is, do an online search for it.  Like search for smss.exe and some webpages will tell you what it does.

Or just press ctrl+shift+esc if you're on windows 7 (opens the task manager quicker).
Anyway, for a more detailed process explorer, I recommend Sysinternals Procexp.

Snipe34

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 13:41 »
xdddd, so I posted here but suddenly got switch to 'credit news' bullshit page.

Anyway, I use XP.  I was gunna say Raj knows more about this stuff, and sure enough :) 

zonealarm will turn off win firewall so there's no system conflicts I guess.  'Process Explorer' link from Raj - all helps to understand what's happening in your system.  It's version 14.01 already so probably most bugs fixed.

[MiA]Pepe

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 04:49 »
Hmm I didn't know that about windows firewall. Altough I never had a hacked pw problem, I was kind of unsecured. I guess avast is'nt that bad after all. It might had protected me of some shit.
When I said I was scared it was only about the unkown processes. Maaan I looked everywhere in the internet and theyre not there! The rest of the processes warnings were games mostly XD and ZA is pretty easy to use. Idk about that Comodo I almost installed.

Thx for the info raj sir.

Over n out.