KF Map Help  (Read 8550 times)

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
KF Map Help
« on: June 22, 2012, 00:29 »
Heyya everyone!

Just looking for some insight, maybe somebody else can help me with this. It's for a map I'm making in KF, but I'm using Zombowl as an example.

#1: Looking to incorporate a mutator or something of the sort which does EXACTLY what is depicted in this video. I just can't code it myself :I
XFire Video

#2: Something in the map that automatically sets the difficulty to Suicidal.

#3: Make the vehicles respawn properly.
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.

Snipe34

Re: KF Map Help
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:46 »
Heyya everyone!

Just looking for some insight, maybe somebody else can help me with this. It's for a map I'm making in KF, but I'm using Zombowl as an example.

#1: Looking to incorporate a mutator or something of the sort which does EXACTLY what is depicted in this video. I just can't code it myself :I
XFire Video

#2: Something in the map that automatically sets the difficulty to Suicidal.

#3: Make the vehicles respawn properly.

Welcome to Dev land  :D

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:52 »
Aww hell yeah
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.

Snipe34

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 05:22 »
The reason I'm learning code and making UDK KFZ mod is because what's bugging you bugged me to the point where I had to learn to do it for myself, so it can be how I want it.  Just as you want to change the timer.

I'll get around to figuring out the code of timers, etc etc, but at the moment I'm doing other things with the mod, including code, sry.  But I'll keep my eye open for what you want.  Best I can offer with the time I have.

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 07:03 »
I can write an actor or mutator if it's not a huge work, but what are you trying to do? I watched the video, just saw you riding.

As for difficulty, maybe you can change it in level props?

[MiA]Sweety

• Full MemberĀ 
  • Better to reign in the Hell than serve in Paradise
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 20:04 »
To Nercro and Snipe: tanks for accepting my help and for asking me to collaborate to make new maps, i will do my best.

I can find scene, ambience and textures for the map based on Italy

I can do the art design part, you found the right person :D

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 14:17 »
I can write an actor or mutator if it's not a huge work, but what are you trying to do? I watched the video, just saw you riding.

In the video, the timer shows 1 zombie, then I kill it and it says 00:0-5 and then switches immediately to the next wave. Re-watch it and keep your eyes on the timer ;)

Snipe34

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 16:07 »
Thanks for your offer of help, Sweety, it's much appreciated.

Mission map.  There will be tanks and vehicles to drive if you want to include them in your design.  I also learned how to make Physx breakables.  Walls - parts of buildings; statues, and vehicles can drive thru those and break them.  UDK breakables can't be broken by vehicle impact.

Making a map that runs as fast as possible is important.  You probably won't be making the map, only textures for it and asking for the static meshes to be made for it.  If possible try not to have too much detail in large open areas - although UDK have optimization options for those situations.

UDK texture sizes (all other games are the same or very similar) is multiples of 16x16; 16x32; 32x16 ...... 128x32; 256x256 <- is usually a reasonable size for most things, but 128x128 if better - if possible.  512x512 for extra clarity when there's fine detail.  But I would try 256x first before using 512.  1024x1024 is quite large - mainly for first person weapons and characters - 512x for third person weapons, or even 256x if possible.
2048x would only be used in exceptional circumstances.   Alpha textures for shine, reflections, bump maps and particle effects can double those sizes.

Some examples:
http://praliedutzel.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/tips-tricks-udk-performance-opt/
http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/game-dev/quick-tip-optimizing-textures-in-unreal-development-kit/
http://www.udk.com/showcase-amazing-one-texture
http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/910041-How-to-optimize-my-map  exittoexist - see his 2nd to last post.  He made his tex all 1024x and is having speed problems.

So that you keep in the back of your mind, optimizing.  Unless the player is going to be looking closely at an object, use the smallest texture possible.