Razer Lycosa driver tweak - 3rd party players  (Read 8300 times)

N3Cr0

Razer Lycosa driver tweak - 3rd party players
« on: May 01, 2012, 17:09 »
I am not sure if this really fits into this community, but there should be some gamers which may be interested in this topic.

I'm a proud owner of gaming keyboard, the Razer Lycosa for some years.

While the media buttons work perfectly under Ubuntu and also for most Windows users there are some issues which made it impossible for me to use it on my system configuration:
Each time I press one of these media keys, the Windows Media Player (or one of the 4 players set in the config menu) pops up if it is not running.
But my favorite audio player under Windows is foobar2000 (Which works perfectly with the WMP profile).

So the problem to solve was denying the start of WMP.
First I tried to change the permissions of the wmplayer.exe, which did not work properly, then I found a better solution:
Modifying the Razer software IS POSSIBLE.

• Make a backup of your razerhid.exe, located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Lycosa
  • Get a hex editor (I'm using HexEdit Pro http://www.hexeditpro.com/ )
    and open your copy
  • Search for wmplayer.exe and change this filename.
    It is safer not to make too big changes on already compiled binaries, so better change only one(or a few) byte/s, but DO NOT CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF BYTES.
    In my case I just changed the "r" to an "s":

In offset 92E0 your 7th byte should be "72". Just change it to "73" (the "r" becomes an "s")
  • save the file
  • rename the modified version to razerhid.exe (if it denies this, kill this process first)
  • logout and login or reboot

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 17:11 by N3Cr0 »
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

Snipe34

Re: Razer Lycosa driver tweak - 3rd party players
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:11 »
thanks - tis helpful information!  If it doesn't help someone here I think it will come up in google searches for many others.