New server(s) not working out?  (Read 5977 times)

Flenser

New server(s) not working out?
« on: April 19, 2019, 02:13 »
While I'm enjoying some of the new maps, there's very rarely anyone on these days and nights.

I miss being able to hop on pretty much any time of day or night and finding a dozen (or two) players having a spirited Facing Worlds game.

Would it be possible to go back to the original server on one instance, and all the maps and other stuff on the other?

Defty

Re: New server(s) not working out?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 02:59 »
I think Steam has sales every few months where you can get UT2004 like 5 dollars or less. We should keep up on that and help everyone get it.

Piglet

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:30 »
That's definitely an option.

The full game can be bought from Amazon or eBay for even less than that. I don't really understand why people don't get it.

In the UK evening the server is full. There's not enough CPU for the number of players who want to play.

At other times of the day there are only a few players.

It's really difficult to know what is best to do

Piglet

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 12:47 »
Another option is to run the demo server with perhaps 16 player maximum, with it nagging about the full server...but not in the way it's nagging now which makes it mostly unplayable

Killer_XTREME!!!

• "Turn your wounds into wisdom"
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 13:33 »
demo server option with 16 players a good idea for those who dont have full version, i agree that player count has fallen since v moved to full version...its a nice idea of one demo only server and one full version server.

Flenser

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 14:54 »
I’m not sure it’s the demo vs. full thing; plenty of people own the full UT.

I think it’s that a lot of the maps are unknown or aren’t that fun with only a few people, so people see that only one or two people are on, and they do something else.

When the server was just Facing Worlds and Torlan (and Primeval  :) ) people were always joining in, even when there were only a couple already there.

I’d like to go back to one server just running those two or three maps, and the other running the full set or whatever.

At the same time, I admire and am thankful to Piglet for everything he’s doing, so feel free to tell me to shut up.  ;D

sup

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 23:58 »
I'm not playing because my lag has been worse than ever xD

Flenser

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 01:42 »
I’ve found that when nobody is on, if I join, vote for FW, and start playing, people join in.  :)