Piglet, check server, this lagfest is a joke :( move to 16 pplayers max  (Read 9884 times)

Piglet

11 players Freon + idle iCTF server + Demo information server on core 1 to the left
22 to 23 players on Warfare on core 2 to the right

Nardaq_NL

any specs on server?

true server or server being used as a vps?

And since its a windows server, your able to use "process-explorer to get a detailed look on the process?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 14:53 by Nardaq_NL »

Piglet

It's a 2 core VPS, using the most powerful CPU they have in the datacentre. I have an email somewhere with details of the cores

I'm not sure how looking in more detail at the process would help. We can't change the engine... The only thing we could do is tailor the maps to result in less processing power needed or reduce the already low tickrate

N

miley.cyrus

" UT2004 and the affinity command

UT2004 is a NON multi-threading application, and as such can perform worse on a multi-core cpu, or "skips" at times (looks like lag, but it's the cpu core changing / purging cache on threads) Here is a command line (batch file etc...) option using affinity that can be used to lock UT (or any app) onto specific cores."

https://h-townmadness.com/forum2/showthread.php?5614-UT2004-and-the-affinity-command

imagecfg ...some info howto use it.
https://robpol86.com/imagecfg.html#download

PS read the comments also.

It locks UT2004 to a single core.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 17:25 by miley.cyrus »

Piglet

Thanks, but the Warfare server is already locked to a single core and is the only process using it.

The cores we have are two from an Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 v2 25M Cache, 3.00 GHz

It's not a bad CPU!

Nardaq_NL

Multi core are a pain for single core applications due to it will lower the ghz/core

we need this baby. Almost twice as fast (single core) 8)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E-2186G-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5-2690-v2/3346vs2057

What can nfoservers do for us?
Crowdfunding?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 21:50 by Nardaq_NL »

Piglet

They don't have anything faster virtual server cores at the datacentre.

I could ask if they've got faster dedicated box cores we can get...but I suspect that would be a lot more expensive...if they have anything...

Nardaq_NL

I know. We need the chip in anyway if we want to do this.
It will be a "custom job" i guess. We have no use in a newer high-count core server.

and...

"The highest performance. Guaranteed." 5y old hardware :/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 00:50 by Nardaq_NL »

Piglet

I've been in contact with them and there doesn't seem to be any option.

The game is single core and the dedicated gaming machines are just more cores with only very marginal performance increase...and we can't have just part of one anyway

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2690-v2-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5-2679-v4/2057vs2805
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 20:10 by Piglet »

Piglet

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 20:10 by Piglet »

tirofijo!!

• bash the fash
dammit, we are all grown up people, why cant be any of us a billonaire :(

Piglet

Now that would be useful!

When I helped admin the Titan 32 player server it was custom built by the owners of a datacentre and hosted in it. They paid for everything until they sold the business...even after they stopped playing the game

Nardaq_NL

I still have a custom 2U AMD  server collecting dust now. 
It was used in as UT2k4 server back in 2004 for a few years and was placed in the rack of my former clan where more servers are hosted.
It costed me €30/mo or so. Good old days.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:54 by Nardaq_NL »

HimmelBerg

You need AntiCheat. People are messing around with the game and the result is the overload of the server. Try it for several days and see if it's true. If the same happens then at least you removed one possible fault.

THOR`

• anxious_f0x
Now that would be useful!

When I helped admin the Titan 32 player server it was custom built by the owners of a datacentre and hosted in it. They paid for everything until they sold the business...even after they stopped playing the game

That old AMD Opteron 252 server was a beast.

Problem with most modern servers is all they care about is cramming as many cores as possible into as small a space as possible. You’d probably get better performance on an overclocked Intel Core i3 CPU than any of the Xeon processors currently available.

UT2K4 loves single threaded performance and high GHz cores :)