How much RAM do you use?  (Read 4613 times)

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
How much RAM do you use?
« on: October 15, 2020, 11:19 »
So, what did the crowd pickup on the amazon prime day?

I picked up 32 GB for a 100 bucks. A bit tough on the strained budgets that corona has pushed upon many but I needed for 4k video editing as my 16gb was running at 90% with all my other stuff open :D

Was wondering how much max RAM are people using these days ;)

Piglet

Re: How much RAM do you use?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 11:32 »
The server has 16Gb - and with all the servers running...it's using 2Gb!

My PC has 16Gb too. With Zoom meeting running and full work setup and loads of browser windows open it's using 5.6Gb.

I guess video editing will use any resources you throw at it!

hellfire

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 11:57 »
Thanks for sharing :) 5.6gb usage is very nice. I think my browsers are using up too much RAM space. I manage multiple projects and each project needs user logins to test stuff. So, I have 5-6 different browsers open with many many tabs in each with different users logged in for multiple projects lol. Plus 1 have a 4k tv as a second screen if needed. So , all in all, my setup was eating up the RAM after days of uptime and the deal last night was just ok :) I will get it tomorrow. Opening up the machine will need careful hands to not damage the plastic lol. Yeah I love the design of this baby :D

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 12:09 »
I'm using 32 at the moment, only because I've hijacked my missus ram till I get the rest of the parts for her upgrade.
16 is what I normally run and seems fine on windows 10.
Stealer.T32

kops

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 19:31 »
32 and need it! Several tabs, half the adobe suite and games running at the same time.

sup

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 20:01 »
24gb, I edit in after effects, vegas, etc, several tabs open without problem
I use a very good extension to save memory: Great Suspender
it will inactivate Google Chrome tabs after a period of inactivity and you will save a lot of memory if you are like me (30 tabs always open)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=pt-BR

}TCP{Cloud

• Full MemberĀ 
  • If everything is a dream, don't wake me up.
    • Cl04d
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 06:35 »
Using 2x4ddr3 ram, i need a new game pc for some time, but i wait until after i moved to new house.

hellfire

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 13:40 »
Nice guys :)

Wow SUP :) your top the charts with RAM. Kops seems more like me. Always multitasking and open for days :)

Thanks a ton Sup for the chrome extension. Indeed  chrome was taking up all the RAM as I have tons open like you. Will use it right away :)

Regarding a new gaming pc, try getting from USA. The tech is always newer and better for the best prices. I wish my gf would gift me her RAM stealer but she uses mac which has soldered ram ;)

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 17:17 »
Currently sitting at 16gb for some gaming and audio production, but I may need to think about upgrading soon... some programs and games are starting to struggle and I've had as much as a 20GB paging file in recent weeks...
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.

hellfire

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 21:08 »
after testing 32gb, i highly recommend to everyone who can afford a 100 bucks. i will sell 16 for 60 and effectively will upgrade for 40 or tad more ;)

Nardaq_NL

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 21:21 »
The RAM price is as low as it was 4 years ago. I'd say upgrade system when you can/need.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 22:23 by Nardaq_NL »