Religious Discussion Thread ^^  (Read 5112 times)

Snipe34

Religious Discussion Thread ^^
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:57 »
This forum really needs a religious discussion  ???

re this thread: http://miasma.org/index.php?topic=927.msg11196;topicseen#new

and Poom's comment: "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy GOD in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh HIS name in vain" (Exodus 20:7)

because of:

I wasn't sure what it meant: "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy GOD in vain" ... I'm still not.  I thought well a child walks along saying God, god, god... that would be in vain??
My wife always thought it meant presuming on the concept God, eg: It's God's fault my life went wrong - that would be presuming on God, ie taking God's name in vain, because it's not God's fault.

But Poom, you applying that to the sign is imo taking it to the extreme - the sign is a witty joke.   My understanding of the concept, God is that It's intelligent, witty and understands the difference between 'in vain' and humour.  Furthermore the Bible was the output of the ancient Jews and if I wanted answers about Biblical subjects I'd ask a Rabbi.  I have previously asked a Rabbi about Biblical questions that bugged me -me being brought up among Chrisitian; Catholic; Methodist; Church of England; Anglican etc.  I was surprised the Rabbi was helpful, me definitely not Jewish. 

One of the questions I asked the Rabbi was about Onan and masturbation.  The 'Christian' version is masturbation is evil - as per Onan - end of subject.  The Rabbi gave me a whole lot of other references on the subject and plainly from what he said masturbation isn't evil - the story of Onan isn't even referring to masturbation, and that side of life is covered by other Biblical areas.

From that and other Biblical subjects imo the Jewish take is more objective, less emotional, more factual and very much less dogmatic.  (by "Jewish" I don't mean Israeli - I understand they are two entirely separate groups, the latter being non-religious).

So although I was brought up with the Christian outlook, I disregard it in favour of the Jewish style of religion because Rabbis have given me sensible answers to questions Christians have never answered to my satisfaction.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:00 by Snipe34 »

poompoom500

• For my one and only Dottie.
    • poompoom500
    • poompoom500
Re: Religious Discussion Thread ^^
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 13:48 »
 :-[

The thing is, my fellow KF Mod-er, I do not take things about the MOST HIGH lightly. I can take a joke, and you know that, but not when it comes to the LORD. Anything else but that! That for me is a very sensitive nerve. Okay, my friend?

Anyways, how be the progress on your excellent map (on KFZ - aka Kentucky Fried Zombies)? Did you know that they actually made a movie on that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpnKpIzVql0
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 13:55 by poompoom500 »

Snipe34

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 13:32 »
I was thinking that quoting "God says:" 'something or other' - is actually taking God's name in vain because unless God actually says 'someting or other' to you directly - you don't know, which I'll throw at the JWs next time they darken my door.  :D

poompoom500

• For my one and only Dottie.
    • poompoom500
    • poompoom500
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 16:19 »
 ;D

To Snipe34,

There he is! Glad to hear from my buddy again! JW - they're a funny lot.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 16:28 by poompoom500 »