About time to add few maps  (Read 32239 times)

Piglet

Re: About time to add few maps
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2021, 15:46 »
We're working on the equaliser. It's currently gathering stats. If you want to help, feel free to liaise with TheCowboy.

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2021, 16:04 »

But at least disable the equalizer, it is pure idiocy. All the time, someone carries a flag, just about to score...
player has been switched to blue/red by eq. What the.

Also that would be the handiwork of some other code. I haven't even started writing the team switching code yet!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 16:09 by The_Cowboy »
Quote from: Wormbo
You learn UnrealScript mainly by reading other people's code. Removing code without an important reason (download size reduction and lack of helpfulness are not important in that sense) is extremely antisocial IMHO.

CRONix

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2021, 16:45 »
My coding skills are basic and date back to QBasic, Vbasic, PHP and JS basics, and i have no time or desire to learn the UnrealScript, it's the overall impression in-game equalizer should have never existed. Everybody complains or lols at it pretty much all the time, but they don't care enough to say it in the forum.

Piglet

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2021, 17:39 »
And when it's off you end up with lots of players switching to the winning team.

Romulus

• ❤️JL❤️
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2021, 19:06 »
but they don't care enough to say it in the forum.
CRONix, because it's unnecessary
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 20:32 by Romulus »

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2021, 05:52 »
My coding skills are basic and date back to QBasic, Vbasic, PHP and JS basics, and i have no time or desire to learn the UnrealScript, it's the overall impression in-game equalizer should have never existed.

I have neither the patience nor the humbleness to explain utility of Equaliser to someone who is so myopic who can't really see the relevant threads in this forum.
You learn UnrealScript mainly by reading other people's code. Removing code without an important reason (download size reduction and lack of helpfulness are not important in that sense) is extremely antisocial IMHO.

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2021, 05:53 »
Or have enough courage to post there!

holyspam

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2021, 08:46 »
Some time in the past.

Developer: I made an [insert mod name] that solves problems X and Y, but can't solve Z - that requires different logic.
Community: wow that is great, we can live with problem Z, if it means solving X and Y

Years later...

Newbie: OMG the [equaliser] is the cause of problem Z, it has to be removed!!
Community: Ugh...he doesn't even know about X and Y.
Developer: .....

edit: added colours for better clarification/understanding
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 08:50 by holyspam »

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2021, 09:19 »
Hmm, I don't have any problem with problem reporting or everyone liking/not liking Equalizer. For all I care remove that file and continue threads like https://miasma.rocks/index.php?topic=1703.0 and many more ranting about every possible issue you face in your life.

The least you can try is to be logical. If an issue is bothering you SPEAK. Comments like "Everybody complains or lols at it pretty much all the time, but they don't care enough to say it in the forum." are not helpful in that sense. This just leads to the judgement that you are a convivence package which, fortunately, doesn't run the world.

And before you start banging your head, oops, hand, on the keyboard again, just read https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/how-to-ask-questions-the-smart-way.109192/
and
https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/before-asking-a-question-have-you.154515/
(this is called doing some research)

Piglet

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2021, 09:32 »
The current equalizer is not perfect...as Holy says, it fixed some problems but not all which is why The_Cowboy and I have spent rather more of our precious time than people probably appreciate looking at and testing alternatives and actively doing something to work out a better alternative:

looking at other balancers,

designing,

coding,

bug fixing,

hosting a dedicated website to hold the data,

creating and configuring databases,

working out how to design and configure everything to be able to talk with unrealscript,

how to capture pertinent information,

etc etc.

Work is progressing, and you’ll have seen some updates from the progress so far.

So “disable the equalizer, it is pure idiocy.” Is simply annoying.

CRONix

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2021, 11:46 »
I have neither the patience nor the humbleness to explain utility of Equaliser to someone who is so myopic who can't really see the relevant threads in this forum.

So, i am short-sighted cause i don't dig in other threads, sweet logic.

CRONix

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2021, 11:49 »
I stress again, i don't think anyone cares, actual complaints are rare, they usually lol at it, especially when it switches them in key moments.

For example you play your ass off whole game and then seconds before the end 'switched to blue by eq' etc.

The_Cowboy

• CodeZilla
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2021, 12:26 »
For example you play your ass off whole game and then seconds before the end 'switched to blue by eq' etc.

That is life. I myself have been switched and it becomes difficult to control my emotions at that moment. But making a choice helps.
Rest assured you (and your friends) are not alone to experience this.

Piglet

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2021, 12:31 »
The current logic is that the last player to join gets switched if the teams get >2 apart in size. It's not complex.

CRONix

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2021, 14:37 »
Also, when you get switched by eq you lose 1 point as if you killed yourself.