"Please make tanks more interesting"  (Read 16663 times)

Piglet

Re: "Please make tanks more interesting"
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 22:24 »
Bah Humbug. While I can't do much with Avril, I can make rockets home faster and be faster and more accurate, and target flying players with Avrils....only problem is that the rockets become invisible!

I can make them faster and move faster and be visible, but I can't make them target flying players with Avrils only.

So - not sure I can take that idea further and still support demo clients.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 22:40 by Piglet »

[MiA]Dave

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47 »
RE: Torlan LG & Speed
IMO, a bit too fast in the Goliaths (-30%) and the Avril recoil/gravity too (-40%). That way there's a 'bit' of skill/timing involved.

Of course, my shooting ability is in the negative. OSX keeps screwing with mouse acceleration (on random I think) and I can't get a consistent DPI to work anymore. :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:49 by [MiA]Dave »

Krellsan

• Full MemberĀ 
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 08:16 »
I played a little in this mode with several players - 2-4, and many players - 10-12.
My conclusions.
The second link kills the tank and it's great, but it has too small ammo. When you just pick it from the weapon locker, it has 220 ammo. Built a node from scratch ~ -100, there are 120 left. You take another link from the weapon locker near the node and a surprise: 150 rounds. Wow! Tank came to you, beat the node a bit, but you killed it with the help of the second link -100 rounds. You can not finish the node, because there are only 50 rounds left. Of course, i can throw old link, take a new with full amo, but it takes times and brains, which both i do not have.

But there are still flying players with avril! Not everyone has a gun sight like a dc and dexterity like bj, so again we use the link to kill them, because our aim is suffers, and we can not use shock or light. A flak, a rocket and spiders are more mundane weapons. So the node is again destroyed.
But let's say we have a tremendous teamwork. No. wait. Great teamwork! And we have captured all the nodes, except the second (or the fourth, as you like). And here, our brave Avril pilots come across an impenetrable wall of miniguns. And the losing team calmly repels attack after attack on this node. And we have to wait for overtime. Maybe even four to five times per game. Terribly boring and tedious.
But let's say the enemy is weak. And our brave Avril pilots broke through the defense of the fourth (or second node, as anyone likes). They fly to the core, and from the height they shoot the core in seconds from the rocket launchers. And no one can do anything against them. They are high, and our aim, let's say, is not high enough. OH WAIT! OH SHIT! Another avril pilot flew up with the redeemer. The core is just annihilated....

Actually, in my humble opinion, i can share sensations as i see it. Increase the number of ammo in the link. At least up to 400-500. To suffice for a building node, and take a chance to fight back the tank. Adding miniguns to all weapons locker, not just the second (4) node should help to make the problemof avril pilots not so acute. And hp of the core is just shamelessly small, so a small increase of it, as in our usual torlan, might not be superfluous.
And btw, place of spawning avrils looks balanced perfectly. One as starter pack on the base, and second, as reward, on middle node.
Imo, this can benefit the balance. Avril will cease to be an imbalanced weapon, tanks will become a little more in demand, and, I believe, this will speed up the game, instead of trampling on each node for half an hour.

Ps. on screen it is not visible, but there is beaver and me with ~400 points each. We just fucked, sorry.
Pps. Lin is a traitor.
Ppps. this wall of text destruction my lexicon. need to drink vodka.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:46 by Krellsan »

Piglet

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31 »
I've seen that one good player in a base turret makes short work of Avril flyers.

Miniguns? You can shoot them with shock and they lose aim on you. Hmm. I really wish I could get the rocket mod I was working on yesterday to be visible...but it may not be possible

Piglet

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 10:59 »
Here are a couple more tips:

1. When killing tanks, alt-link the tank and not the teammates alt-linking the tank

2. The Avril boost you get is highest at your core and progressively less the further away you go from it (up to a minimum level of boost that is always permitted)

Dave, everything is configurable so happy to work with you UK evening time on the test server... just give me a shout to arrange a time to try tweaking it. I can show you the calculation made and how the values in the webadmin affect it

tirofijo!!

• bash the fash
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 14:08 »
hey, i played like 10 minutes and it was great, maybe it could get more fun if we add a leviathan in middle node, or paladins? i kinda like those tanks

Piglet

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 15:08 »
Those aren't in the demo, so again not possible :(

DrexD(RS)

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 20:28 »
This is alot more fun than old tanks but i'd still rather play normal ons

Piglet

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 16:52 »
Now with more air control and pretty trails.

I'm not switching on the silly rockets...

Absolute_Madness

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 20:00 »
Hello piglet,

Another suggestion:

Sniper rifle should have more ammo  (150 ) and faster fire rate (gatling gun sniper :D)
Some skins are almost invisble when they fly too high. Can you change the size of a player's body (the higher you are the fatter you get..)

That would balance the game

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 20:03 by Absolute_Madness »

Piglet

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 20:05 »
Hmm. I could have a look at the code. What were you thinking needed shooting with  it? Maybe I should activate the fast homing rocket launcher for a try.

Domino

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 00:13 »
No offense , but im onlyone who think this is crap?!

Caracal

• caracalRus
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 04:23 »
No offense , but im onlyone who think this is crap?!
Me too.

Piglet

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 09:47 »
The challenge was to improve upon tanks alone as it was, to give more variety. 

So the challenge still exists. Can it be made more fun?

Of course, as they say...you can't polish a turd...so some things just can't be improved enough.

I'm personally still not a fan of CTF...

Absolute_Madness

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 14:05 »
Hmm. I could have a look at the code. What were you thinking needed shooting with  it? Maybe I should activate the fast homing rocket launcher for a try.

Flying players are not easy targets. Maybe if you can improve rocket launcher range and accuracy and  the classic sniper rifle (more ammo + increased fire rate)