Gaming Zone > Unreal Tournament 2004

Some data on balancing

<< < (2/9) > >>

Piglet:
Maybe balance based on proportion of wins to loses? You may be great and unlucky or poor and lucky with your team.....but maybe averaging out winners and losers could be a strategy.

I think that might help a little.

No balancer will ever be perfect. A perfect balancer would be awful: stalemate.

I see them as a little nudge in the right direction.

hagis:
Balancer is not perfect for many reasons,. one example, some days people play better than others,. freon balancer lets you mix the current match ppr score with that players avg over a number of matches which helps a little

does it help to have a balancer,. well that's opinion on what matches should look like,. every match ending 9-10 or 10-9 is not the goal to me but to create a playing field where at least there's a possibility for a win from either side

core freon server currently has no balancing (no one to balance and people don't typically switch and no automated ppr balance) - matches there are stupid,. mid way through a match that was actually fairly even few players join and the outcome is known the moment they join,. just as well call it then and hope the next match randomly gives a better balance

Piglet:

--- Quote from: hagis on September 02, 2021, 10:37 ---core freon server currently has no balancing (no one to balance and people don't typically switch and no automated ppr balance) - matches there are stupid,. mid way through a match that was actually fairly even few players join and the outcome is known the moment they join,. just as well call it then and hope the next match randomly gives a better balance

--- End quote ---

We definitely see that on the vCTF server too. One glance at the player list and sometimes you know it's going to be a short brutal boring game.

The_Cowboy:
Hey Flens, how about running this puppy again and spit out the statistics, now!

Flenser:
Ah, should have put this data in this thread rather than the balancing one.

Here's the data my app collected over the past couple of weeks.

Out of 1532 VCTF games that had scores, 734 were 5-0, 5-1, 4-0 or 4-1, or  48%.

This is only slightly better than before the balancer was added, when it was 51%.

I don't know if 3% is within sampling error or whatever. I am surprised that it's only 3%.

Can this be explained by perhaps not enough data-gathering by the balancer? Or because then balancer doesn't balance when new people join?

16 0 vs. 1
  13 0 vs. 2
   8 0 vs. 3
  21 0 vs. 4
 138 0 vs. 5
  24 1 vs. 0
  23 1 vs. 2
  18 1 vs. 3
  11 1 vs. 4
 101 1 vs. 5
  12 2 vs. 0
  27 2 vs. 1