VR Headsets  (Read 15579 times)

Stealer

• StealerNinja
VR Headsets
« on: November 21, 2022, 18:08 »
Hi all, been tempted by the valve one for a few years, was waiting for it to drop in price, very patiently... Just noticed meta quest 2 and seemed to have some good reviews so bit the bullet + Resident Evil 4 came with it :) I couldn't really justify blowing a grand on something I've never used before, when that could get me a nice wee PC upgrade! It came to £350 for 128gb (2 games) and hopefully my pc is beefy enough to run it reasonably? (Ryzen 5 5600x, Asus prime x570-p, ATi RX 6600, 16gb ddr4)

Does anyone use VR? Which one? What do you think of my choice and what would you have recommended instead?
28 day consumer rights, so I'm gonna test it  >:D
Stealer.T32

Blub

Re: VR Headsets
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 20:44 »
Save to say dk is THE expert for VR headsets and how to hide them from the wife. ;)

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 18:13 »
Lol, not sure VR prawn is the way forward tbh  :))
Stealer.T32

Blub

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 21:38 »
On a more serious note I used to play VR games in a dedicated VR arena some years ago. I think they used the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift, both were fine, but I'd prefer the Vive or its successors, partly also because I don't like the facebook ties of the Oculus.

holyspam

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 12:31 »
Apart from playing very casual games with low quality graphics, VR is still in early steps.

I wish GPU makers would focus on improving VR support, performance and input latency instead of stupid ray-tracing.

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 15:25 »
It seems pretty cool to be fair. Just throwing paper airplanes seems really cool, it really tricks my brain into depth perception. Think I need to adjust the settings a smidge or its taking my eyes some time to get used to, gives me a slight headache after an hours use.
Stealer.T32

Blub

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 21:21 »
You are both right. On the one hand vr is still in its infancy, on the other hand it is already quite impressive. Check the "walk the plank" game. You basically step into an elevator, go up a skyscraper and well, walk the plank. :D

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 18:31 »
I was quite blown away by the meta TV (amongst everything else), going on a roller coaster and jumping out of a helicopter with a wing suit. Attempting to get google earth working that might be quite mad.
VR kind of makes me think of the old 3d cinema but slightly more developed. I'll have to check that out Blub! I'm running through RE4 on vr, soo nice to be able to aim like an actual pistol :D
Stealer.T32

natewrench

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 19:30 »
I was quite blown away by the meta TV (amongst everything else), going on a roller coaster and jumping out of a helicopter with a wing suit. Attempting to get google earth working that might be quite mad.
VR kind of makes me think of the old 3d cinema but slightly more developed. I'll have to check that out Blub! I'm running through RE4 on vr, soo nice to be able to aim like an actual pistol :D

I get quite nauseous when in VR, but I suspect that will ease overtime with enhancements like for glasses-wearing folk, and maybe like a car sick patch or simply having a fan blowing on you to simulate movement, like when you're in the car and you open the window to breathe in. You need to feel like your moving and not stationary.

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 09:36 »
I get quite nauseous when in VR, but I suspect that will ease overtime with enhancements like for glasses-wearing folk, and maybe like a car sick patch...
Aye, it seems to have got better with time, I no longer get headaches when using them, which was probably due to my eyes adjusting or learning to move my head to view things rather than my eyes (to do with the type of lenses that they use in the headsets). I still only use it for an hour at a time though, unlike the PC screen that I can happily spend a whole day on with no side effects.
Stealer.T32

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 19:23 »
I've had my Quest 2 for a few weeks now.
Initially the headset felt a bit awkward and cumbersome, but I've since grown used to it.

One of the best games I've played on it so far is Pistol Whip.  I tried the 20 minute demo first, that was enough for me to splash out for the full version.

The music is awesome, the gameplay is immersive, and it's a great workout :)

• Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, made up genders are from Uranus.
• It's all shits & giggles until someone giggles and shits.
• I wish I had the aim of an Eastern Bloc player.

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 16:17 »
partly also because I don't like the facebook ties of the Oculus.
Aye fair play, I made sure not to include my fb profile when prompted by the quest 2.
I've had my Quest 2 for a few weeks now.
Initially the headset felt a bit awkward and cumbersome, but I've since grown used to it.

One of the best games I've played on it so far is Pistol Whip.  I tried the 20 minute demo first, that was enough for me to splash out for the full version.

The music is awesome, the gameplay is immersive, and it's a great workout :)

Aye nice one, certainly takes a little to adapt, that game looks pretty cool, I bought a couple: Iron man and super hot vr. Iron man isn't bad, quite funny using thrusters and trying to aim at the same time. Super hot is alright, I just need a bit more room to move a little. Too used to playing RE4 sat down, I loved it on the PC anyway, just a bit more fun in vr, same graphics though. I've got beatsaber as well but haven't tried it yet, other than the intro.

Kinda tempted by one of the boxing ones... Although probably no point in buying more games for me, I have a backlog of steam games that I've got from various sales but haven't got round to trying yet!
Stealer.T32

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 22:07 »
Playing the climb 2 at the moment, great game unless you suffer from vertigo or similar issues. Climbing up a cliff or jumping from girder to girder 100s of feet up: is quite hairy, yet the simplicity and mechanics work really well in VR. This also has some of the best graphics I've seen soo far in VR, yet far below current PC standards, it's probably about 12 years behind PC tech (graphics wise)?

Also playing the thrill of the fight, being into muay thai has been slightly beneficial. Another great little boxing game, good workout too once you've tweaked some settings. It's so stress relieving being able to break peoples noses and not get done in the process :)

This headset and controllers were probably a better buy than my gfx card! As blub and Holy said, there needs to be more done to use it through the PC for blistering graphics and just use the headset as a monitor type thing.
Stealer.T32

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 21:40 »
Not sure I'd like The Climb.  I don't mind scrambling up a Munro, but I wouldn't last one minute playing that.
I lose my balance player the roller coaster games.

I might give Half-Life: Alyx a go now that I've treated myself to a new laptop.  The visuals are impressive.
• Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, made up genders are from Uranus.
• It's all shits & giggles until someone giggles and shits.
• I wish I had the aim of an Eastern Bloc player.

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 23:06 »
I was the same grim, I'm not great with heights, probably why I always get sweaty palms when playing the climb 2. It's kinda nice to face fears in a safe environment, there is definitely a lot of good cardio work to be had from VR, I recommend it regardless; as Crytek did the original farcry and their stuff is/was still used as a graphical benchmark for PCs :) To be honest I was the same - till I found out who developed it :D

Loved Half life back in the 90s, never really got back into it sadly, I have a sequel to something in half life but I haven't played more than an hour into it before I got distracted by something else :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 23:08 by Stealer »
Stealer.T32