Netcode warfare still active?  (Read 5866 times)

Tupiniquim

Netcode warfare still active?
« on: May 14, 2024, 21:46 »
Hi all!

Is Netcode warfare still active? I have noticed that the help for high pings has disappeared.
As I have high ping (200ms<). It became impossible to play without it, it helped a lot, now the server has become very difficult and punishing, at least for me. I know it's one more thing for the admins to take care of, but without it I'm stopping playing, and this game, like for many, is their favorite game.

Thx!

Piglet

Re: Netcode warfare still active?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 22:09 »
No changes. What's your ping?

Tupiniquim

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 17:32 »
~~200ms

Piglet

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 19:35 »
The cutoff is, I believe, exactly 200. If it's set more than this your shots start looking really wrong to all the other players (clear misses that hit).

Tupiniquim

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2024, 23:40 »
ok, thanks for the answer.

sup

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 03:56 »
The netcode got pretty weird about 1 year ago (or maybe more) for high pings, but I know that high ping players are in the minority and it's a pointless battle, so I don't even argue.

Furthermore, any change will result in dozens of players with 20 ping complaining that it's not fair

Just to clarify for low ping players what happens with a ping above 180:
-The shield jump time is changed and fails many times, as well as more complex jumps with wall dodge
-The delay for entering and exiting vehicles is significantly increased
-The handling of the vehicles is completely changed (I press to the left and the bender goes 0.5 seconds later) the Manta doesn't make sharp turns.
-You cannot effectively use link gun, sniper, minigun, turret, bender's third gun, or most vehicle weapons
-Many times you touch the flag and it is not returned
-In addition to other changes to the game's gameplay

High ping players learned to play despite all this and many low ping players think the netcode is unfair lol

Piglet

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2024, 13:18 »
Very few of those things are touched in the netcode we have running.

(The code is all in the package, so you can look through and see what has been done and code and test and then suggest improvements)

sup

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2024, 17:10 »
I know pig, I'm just pointing out some aspects that change for high ping players so low ping players stop complaining that netcode is unfair

Plakatowy

• Full MemberĀ 
  • Buritto
    • Biegan
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2024, 09:47 »
Sup, just sell all your bananas fields and move to Europe ... thats the only solution.  ::)

Tupiniquim

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2024, 21:01 »
PIG, I believe that 180ms would be better as a limit, above this value everything becomes more difficult. I would really appreciate it if we could do one more test.

Can you post the script? Or show the way? Does it stay on the client's machine too?

PS: It may be just me, but it is very easy to hit shots only on teammates. :).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 23:38 by Tupiniquim »

Piglet

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2024, 21:21 »
You should have it in your cache directory - but for ease here's a copy of the code that's present in the package: /downloads/MiA_NewNetv2.zip

holyspam

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2024, 21:37 »
The netcode got pretty weird about 1 year ago (or maybe more) for high pings, but I know that high ping players are in the minority and it's a pointless battle, so I don't even argue.

Furthermore, any change will result in dozens of players with 20 ping complaining that it's not fair

-The shield jump time is changed and fails many times, as well as more complex jumps with wall dodge
-The handling of the vehicles is completely changed (I press to the left and the bender goes 0.5 seconds later) the Manta doesn't make sharp turns.
-You cannot effectively use link gun, sniper, minigun, turret, bender's third gun, or most vehicle weapons

High ping players learned to play despite all this and many low ping players think the netcode is unfair lol
The server was initially running on Windows 10 Pro, it took a year to realize that it just has inaccurate timers for unreal, meaning that counting time ingame was inaccurate, allowing anyone to do whatever they want sometimes faster than they should be able to.

This resulted in "actions" as described in your post to be processed sometimes earlier than they should be.
We moved to Windows Server in 2023 (or was it 2022?), the tickrate became stricter and more accurate, the downside being it "felt" less responsive compared to before.
While the "before" felt better, it also allowed for some very sus behaviour on the client side.

So, what you see now is the game counting time properly.

edit:
This also affected low ping connections, not just high ones.
Unpopular change, but required to stop the bs shots
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 21:40 by holyspam »

NEURUS

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2024, 21:38 »
 :'( i love mi 250ms ping too :P

Joustin_Beaver

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2024, 12:58 »

+1
Low ping players have so much edge over us and yet they are crying about netcode. Netcode doesn't do anything unfair. Current netcode settings are so dogshit that if you have 200ms, you will have like 50% of the hitscan shots unregistered. It is playable at around 150ms. Don't believe me? You can test it holyspam. Nice priorities in a dead game. I am not saying "give us 100% regs on full speed manta or wyvren manta." I am talking about regs on-foot players.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 13:01 by Joustin_Beaver »

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2024, 13:09 »
Every time I see people with low ping complaining about lag or netcode I can't take them seriously. It's like "dude, you have no idea how good you have it"

Playing on other servers where my ping is >40 or even >30 is so nice. It feels like an entirely different game
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 13:21 by Veica »
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.