Grim on tour.  (Read 1770 times)

Grim_Fandango

Grim on tour.
« on: September 10, 2024, 22:48 »
Surface Pro & MX Master 3 fully charged, mobile hotspot enabled (hotel IP was rejected).

BRING IT!!!

p.s. It gets nicer at night.

• Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

maelman

Re: Grim on tour.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2024, 15:34 »
This guy!!! 8)

Piglet

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 15:58 »
Nice one.

You should be good on the hotel connection now. I whitelisted you.

hellfire

• Dev, gamer, entrepreneur, good hearted&mock raging
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2024, 16:55 »
Nice mouse and view ;)

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2024, 17:40 »
Surface Pro & MX Master 3 fully charged, mobile hotspot enabled (hotel IP was rejected).

BRING IT!!!

That's funny, I did about the same thing a decade ago, with the first Surface Pro and the first MX Master.
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.

duke

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2024, 19:43 »
Why do you guys play on laptops?

Stealer

• StealerNinja
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2024, 21:05 »

BRING IT!!!

Looks a Bonnie view you have their grim! I would hazard a guess at Eastern Europe but I could be wrong (I haven't been there... yet).
Stealer.T32

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024, 10:56 »
You should be good on the hotel connection now. I whitelisted you.
Cheers,  I'm currently at The Cosmo', but will be moving on to The Golden Nugget tomorrow for our last couple of days before returning home.
To keep me connected, I purchased a US pre-paid T-Mobile SIM with 5G unlimited data and calls for just over £30, it's been a great purchase and has saved quite a bit on roaming charges.

Why do you guys play on laptops?
I only use this when I'm travelling and very seldom when gaming.  I brought it on this trip to have NL & US as my country code.  I've already had ES when visiting Lanzarote & Tenerife:)
I do have a gaming laptop, but tend to use my ASUS PN51 Mini PC the majority of the time.

Looks a Bonnie view you have their grim! I would hazard a guess at Eastern Europe but I could be wrong (I haven't been there... yet).
Haven't been there either, although I've always fancied visiting Prague.  Hopefully I'll get there before too long.
I took the photo from my balcony at The Cosmopolitan Hotel in Last Vegas.  I've stayed there before (on a pre-pandemic road trip), but have pushed the boat out a little this time and opted for a wraparound suite with a strip/fountain view.

And at night:

The current Mrs Fandango and I started our journey with an overnight stopover in Amsterdam before setting off to San Francisco.  We'd been to AMS many times before, so no touristy photos were taken.

Initial thoughts on San Fran' were grim (:)) as we passed the Tenderloin district with it's rows of tents in the streets, junkies, and homeless persons, San Francisco is an extremely beautiful and photogenic city, but it has many problems, housing and drugs (Fentonyl) featuring high on the list.

I saw, what I thought was a Google Streetview or Apple Maps car driving around, then I spotted a few more.  I later discovered that these were autonomous vehicles and can be booked via the Waymo app'.  I wasted no time in booking one.
The first journey, although a little weird at first, went perfectly. The second trip was a little different.  The car decided to re-route due to a traffic jam and started to turn to face the opposite direction (3 point turn in UK), but stopped half way through the manouvre, blocking both directions.  A quick call to the Service team gave it a nudge back on track to finish the journey.  They also have the Zoox cars in Vegas, but these are still mapping the area and aren't allowed on the roads without a back-up driver in case anything goes wrong.  Also saw my first Tesla Cybertruck...what an ugly contraption it is.

Ticked most of the boxes regarding sightseeing, Alcatraz, Union Sq, Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39, Haight Ashbury, Golden Gate Bridge, hang off a cable car etc.

San Fran' on the left obscured by "Karl the fog"

Even though San Fran' smelt like a badly maintained toilet pretty much everywhere you go, I'd visit again in a heartbeat.

The original plan was to hire a car and drive to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite National Park, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Monica, Hollywood, than on to Vegas, but we decided to give the driving a miss and fly directly to Sin City.

Our first hotel in Vegas was off-strip (The Signature at MGM), we only plus side to this hotel was that we had a balcony and uninterupted views of the Sphere:

Tomorrow we're movong on to Fremont St. for a couple of days, then back home for a rest.

hellfire

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2024, 12:45 »
Happy to see all the awesome pics :) Enjoy a ton and this is called a dedicated gamer :) Even I don't play during vacations mostly. Now I want to visit the USA more for a vacation after the pics :)

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2024, 17:45 »
Now I want to visit the USA more for a vacation after the pics :)

Las Vegas is definately worth a visit if you can make it.  The strip has all the fancy hotels, glitz & glamour, but I prefer Fremont St, for the down to earth atmosphere, although on the strip you can enjoy a breakfast burrito at the Eiffel Tower (sort of :) )

One thing I'm not a fan of is the tax and tipping culture.  When buying an item, you'd expect to pay the price on the tag, however when trying to pay for it, an additional tax is added at the till which confuses the hell outta me  >:D
I don't mind tipping when I receive good service, but to be expected to tip at every contact with a human is ridiculous, even the helicopter pilot who flew us over the strip had his hand out.

Yesterday we woke up to find the entire area blanketed by smoke from wildfires coming out of California.  It mostly cleared a bit by the afternoon, but you could still smell it.  It was also the anniversary of 9/11 and few buildings had their flags flying at half-mast to mark the date.

Wraparound balcony.

Panorama view from balcony.

More nonsense later, gotta get ready to check out :)

hellfire

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2024, 19:56 »
Nice :D Tipping in USA is crazy lol. You never know how much you end up paying as the % changes from place to place. Other than that, outstanding views and yeah..will surely plan a trip over the next few years ;)

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2024, 22:33 »
Different day, same city, different hotel.

We checked in to the Golden Nugget yesterday for a couple of nights before heading home.
Nice enough suite, but not a patch on the Cosmo', and no balcony.
The Plaza hotel at the top of Fremon St was used in Back to the Future 2 as Biffs Pleasure Palace (I've stayed there on a previous trip).

Donald J is flying in tonight for a rally at the World Market Centre, which is visible from my room.
Rumour has it that he's staying at the Trump Tower (also no balcony).
The smoke from the Southern Californa & Nevada wildfires is still visible but has cleared enough to see the mountains again.

Hotel - Fremont St entrance.

Fremont St

Piglet

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2024, 22:55 »
I went to Las Vegas mumble mumble years ago on a very small budget. Wanted to see the Grand Canyon and that sort of thing and Las Vegas was the closest place to fly into. Gambled a whole $10 as 5 x $2 spins of a wheel picking red or black. Lost all 5.

Grim_Fandango

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2024, 21:02 »
Gambled a whole $10 as 5 x $2 spins of a wheel picking red or black. Lost all 5.

$2 a spin wasn't yesterday :)
If Mrs Fandango wasn't there, I'd wouldn't have bothered stopping at the gaming areas, but we were there as a"push the boat out" holiday, so ended up throwing some $'s at the machines and tables, not a lot though, certainly not enough to raise an eyebrow in Vegas.

So glad to be back home now, although I'm not liking the 41°F drop in temperature and the fact that our central heating has packed in. :(

hellfire

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2024, 21:43 »
Welcome back to no-crazy-tipping rules land ;) I never gambled in my life other than once my neighbour made me download an app to buy lottery and I won €4 I think lol. Beginners luck. If I win the Euro million I will live stream UT 24 hours a day :D I think I can play the coin machines in vegas for a €100 in cents lol?