Unrel Editor WIN10 selecting needs time bug  (Read 7102 times)

Miauz55555

Unrel Editor WIN10 selecting needs time bug
« on: November 22, 2020, 22:14 »
System is Win10, Intel, Nvidia.
So the known bug under win10 with the editor.
Selecting things like Static Mesh usw is normly instandly without any delay.

Under win10 you have some delay depending on your system specs and complexity of the maps.

Wormbo wrote there: http://www.ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?p=10764#p10764
that "Selection problems in UEd3 are usually caused by anti-aliasing." So turning that stuff of and using compatibility layer  to win7 reduces the delay.

When you than use a 4/3 ratio it will reduce the delay again a bit (Thanks HV) .. but it's still there (around felt 0.5 seconds regardles the map for me).

When you use compatibility layer resolution 640/480 it will run as smooth as silk. No delay at all., perfect. But not useable in that resolution, at least for me.

So here we start.
Has anybody a better solution which will eliminate the delay completely?

hagis

Re: Unrel Editor WIN10 selecting needs time bug
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 22:39 »
I have no idea if it will help but have you seen some of the dll stuff holy posted in https://miasma.rocks/index.php?topic=1477.0

that was to reduce game lag for windows 10 but I wonder it might help for the map editor ?

holyspam

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 06:58 »
It's a driver/windows issue.
The workaround is to temporarily disable your GPU drivers.

Go in device manager,
Find your graphics card (under Display Adapters),
Rightclick - disable device
DON'T uninstall!!!

Selecting stops lagging, unless you're completely zoomed out.

When you're finished, or you like to play the game re-enable the device.
I suggest rebooting after you finish working with the editor and re-enable your GPU.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:03 by holyspam »

holyspam

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 17:49 »
What if your machine doesnt have a separate GPU but a CPU with integrated graphics?  Asking for a friend :D
For me it works!

Molgan[ApA]

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 21:44 »
Interesting. I run the ed in win7 and never experienced this, think I'll wait with the upgrade on my mapping rig.. :D
Drunken_Ninja

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 04:49 »
It's a driver/windows issue.
The workaround is to temporarily disable your GPU drivers.

Go in device manager,
Find your graphics card (under Display Adapters),
Rightclick - disable device
DON'T uninstall!!!

Selecting stops lagging, unless you're completely zoomed out.

When you're finished, or you like to play the game re-enable the device.
I suggest rebooting after you finish working with the editor and re-enable your GPU.

I'll have to give this a shot, since I have been unable to get any other "fix" to work on my machine.
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.

Miauz55555

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 16:50 »
What if your machine doesnt have a separate GPU but a CPU with integrated graphics?  Asking for a friend :D
For me it works!
I may ask your system? Do you have pluged your monitor into your motherboard?
Tbh I somehow hesitate to deactivate the GPU where my only monitor is pluged in. I have an i5-9600k so it has an integrated gpu, but I think that one is deactivated.
-------------------
Yes with win 7 I also never had any problems, but new system -> new OS .. some new cpu also don't allow to put win7 on it. I still have my win7 system (AMD X6-1090t-black .. which I realy like and was a long time one of the best consumer 6-core cpu available).
-------------------
The "turning of the antiallising" in the controll center makes it better, but not perfect.

Miauz55555

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 18:36 »
Crossposting this also http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&p=19756#p13332
WIN 10 PRO; RTX2070; i5 9600K

So following some of theese there:
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/past-unreal-tournament-games/unreal-tournament-2003-2004/16624-unreal-ed-3-0-selection-issue-with-windows-10/page5
I have no real solution for that.

What is working is to start win 10 in save mode (5). There the selecting is instand. Just the view while moving is a bit mushy as the drivers are disabled there.

I also tried the "use the intern-GPU" .. but with the newest drivers, it wasn't working better as with the PCIE-GPU.
Also using an 4:3 aspect ratio was helping, but just a split seccond less .. so not good.

I'm not so happy with the save mode solution, but I'm much more unhappy to click and wait, or zoom in click and wait shorter, or to cut a map in pieces and put it together later.
So when someone has a better solution, please speak out.

-----
P.S.: Disable your PCIE-GPU is stupid if you haven't pluged in your monitor also to the mobo-gpu AND activate as well as installed it. With other words, don't do that .. it's a Laptop thingy.

holyspam

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 15:59 »
The trick works because the GPU driver gets disabled, not the card ( like turning it off),
If you disable both integrated and discrete GPU from windows device manager, the basic display driver is loaded and software rendering takes over, which does not lag.
If you have 2 GPUs and disable one, windows will switch all GPU tasks to the one remaining