Server Issue  (Read 5247 times)

Massacre

Server Issue
« on: August 29, 2016, 06:16 »
Please, if anyone knows how to fix this, help me out.
My xvoting.xvotinghandler config lines must have reached a maximum allowed limit.

I finally came across a forum where people were talking about it having a max number of characters allowed there.

I couldn't get any answers from the epic games forum, but the bug is that any time I attempt to add an eighth gametype to the list the server will not start up. The server-old-log is always completely blank. Running a dedicated server to test before adding gives me a flawless log. Even though I have triple checked that I've correctly installed mutators, have the right serverpackage lines, re-read the readme files, and have attempted server startup with only each of these mutators added one by one... it continues to happen. In fact, to test my theory that it wasn't an error on my end, I added a simple deathmatch gametype as the eighth config; One that has no mutators attached to it at all. Doing this gives me the same result.

The Web Admin Interface also completely bugs out as soon as another gametype is added. No page will display. I took a screen of my web admin page when this happens. Here it is.

It would be so awesome if this server that I'm paying for would stop limiting me in how much I want to do with it. I have a lot of things just waiting to be added and many many hours of work that I have copied and pasted into notepad files. I'm trying not to look at it as an insane amount of wasted time, thinking I'll get this problem resolved eventually; But I googled the crap out of this topic and the one and only thing I found that was relevant was the paragraph below.

Supposedly a mutator called DruidsMutator is able to handle each game config line separately from the voting handler in order to avoid this problem of the server not starting up or in rare cases, actually starting up then crashing soon after. It has it's own .ini file to handler this, then only requires DM.DM to be referred to as the only mutator in said config line. This worked briefly for one gametype. I then added another line in the same way. Went back to what it was doing. So I reversed everything I did after everything was ok. Despite everything being the same as it was when that first config line was working correctly with this druid mutator, it wouldn't start up anymore.

I would think this problem would be really easy to resolve, since I can be sure there are many admins that have placed many gametypes into voting on their servers. How did they avoid this nonsense? I can't have more than 7 gametypes for 17.00 a month?

Massacre

Re: Server Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:36 »
I found the forum post that was talking about it. Doesn't help me any, but this shows it's a true limitation of the game and not some myth.

Code: [Select]
The reason a crash will happen is that the server will scan new maps when changing to another map;
 an incompletely uploaded map will not register properly and crash the server.
What I do to avoid crashing when installing new maps is to upload them to a unused directory (MapsTemp or similar)
 then move it after it's done uploading.

----->Additionally, there's a limit to how much text can be in the map vote config;
 going over that amount will also cause a crash, and IIRC, it looks similar to that.
 (There's a way around that, by using Druid Mutator to house your mutator configurations in a separate ini,
 so that the only mutator on your command line is DM.u.

Yes, DM mutator will help if you have a lot of different gametypes and mutators listed in your ini.
 Once you go beyond the text limit (not sure what it is) your server won't boot.<-----

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 15:47 »
I've had the same issue when I had a ton of bans stored in my server's ini.

I think the problem is your overall size of UT2004.ini file rather than the voting config in particular. I did a quick test with 400 gameconfig lines and had no problem with starting a server.

Got a lot of maps or bans or something in your UT2004.ini?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 15:49 by [MiA]Raj »

Massacre

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 01:28 »
Thanks for offering a hand. Well here's the thing. There are definitely a lot of sections in there that were necessary to add when installing all these different mutators, but they're not referred to. I let them sit there so I don't have to keep the zip file for these around to read the read me over again and past them over + reconfigure them. The server has never had a problem after adding any amount of these. After I add the config line for the gametype I want the new mutator in, when it crashes I simply take away the server package line for it.

I don't think the length of the .ini as a whole is the problem because these mutator sections...
(example)
[cDOM2.cDOM2Game]
bUnlimitedTranslocator=False
bAwardAdrenaline=True
bDeviousBots=False
bClassicTeamSymbols=True
bAdvertiseDDOM=True
bAddCDOM2ServerName=False
bDebugMode=False
bExtraStatsLogging=False

[cDOM2.cDOM_DomPoint]
DomMeshClassName=cDOM2.ControlPointMesh
bUseDomRing=True
bHiddenDomBase=False
HiddenDomBaseMesh=StaticMesh'CDOM-GameMeshes.DOMpoint.BaseHidden'
DomMeshShader(5)=

[cDOM2.ControlPoint]
bLightCone=True
ControlPointMeshes(0)=StaticMesh'CDOM-GameMeshes.ControlPoint.DomRed'
ControlPointMeshes(1)=StaticMesh'CDOM-GameMeshes.ControlPoint.DomBlue'
ControlPointMeshes(2)=StaticMesh'CDOM-GameMeshes.ControlPoint.DomGreen'
ControlPointMeshes(3)=StaticMesh'CDOM-GameMeshes.ControlPoint.DomGold'
ControlPointMeshes(4)=StaticMesh'CDOM-GameMeshes.ControlPoint.DomNeutral'

[ClassicDom.ClassicControlPoint]
NeutralShader=Shader'CDOMGameTextures.Shaders.S_Vertex_Neutral'
RedTeamShader=Shader'CDOMGameTextures.Shaders.S_Vertex_Red'
BlueTeamShader=Shader'CDOMGameTextures.Shaders.S_Vertex_Blue'
GreenTeamShader=Shader'CDOMGameTextures.Shaders.S_Vertex_Green'
GoldTeamShader=Shader'CDOMGameTextures.Shaders.S_Vertex_Gold'

are a lot longer than the gametype config line.
I take the config line and serverpackage line away and the servers back up.

UT2vote may save the day. It lets you do up to 50 gametypes within it as long as the gametype names together don't equal more than 440 characters. I got it working like a well oiled machine when I tested on a dedicated server. Although in the past that hasn't mattered.
I'll come back and say if I've had any luck.

Massacre

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 01:35 »
The other thing I wonder is if my server actors may be conflicting with some of these.
But as I said, adding basic DM with nothing else does it too.
If UT2vote doesn't solve it, I'm at a loss and this is the only other thing I could think it might possibly be.

ServerActors=MiA_HitSound.HitSoundActor
ServerActors=SmarterBots.SmarterBots
ServerActors=ServerColor.ServerColorActor
ServerActors=Ownage2.MutOwnage

The readmes made it sound like there was no other option but to add these in as server actors rather than server packages. I think I remember seeing wormbo say that you could place a "#" in front of what you want to exclude (like actors) right where you would specify things like GoalScore=.. MinPlayers=..

Massacre

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:20 »
My log says this when I try to start with ut2vote

Log: Log file open, 08/30/16 00:16:48
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1 (Build: 7601)
Init: Version: 3369 (128.29)
Init: Compiled: Sep 13 2008 22:53:31
Init: Command line: -multihome=72.5.102.25 -log=server.log -nohomedir
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: C:\servers\utr\System\
Init: Ini:UT2004.ini   UserIni:User.ini
Init: Build label:  Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Log: Executing Class Engine.ServerCommandlet
Log: Browse: ?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Jakob?team=255
Warning: Failed to load '': Can't find file ''
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file ''
Critical: Failed to enter : Can't find file ''
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: UServerCommandlet::Main
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 12 MByte 670 KByte 983 Bytes from HD took 0.050000 seconds (0.026000 reading, 0.024000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.010000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 08/30/16 00:16:49

Pretty tough to figure out which file it can't find hey?  ???

Massacre

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:24 »
Thank god!
UT2Vote61 saves the day.

For anyone googling this, I'll explain what was wrong. (A luxury I didn't have.)

It was a matter of starting it up with command line parameters. I'm still learning things about running a rented server. I didn't know that NFO servers had a place for this type of thing inside the control panel. + I had to decode why the directions this guy gave for it wasn't the correct line to run. It needed to be run without the ucc server text in front of it, ?MaxPlayers=___ added to the end, and .ut2 removed after the start up map name unlike in LocalMap= for the ut2004.ini

Use UT2Vote61 if you're having the pain in the ass of an extra gametype giving you hell. Peace.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:26 by Massacre »