List some nick of "Ghost" players when you play  (Read 7090 times)

jiRNGen

List some nick of "Ghost" players when you play
« on: April 07, 2018, 12:27 »
Is it happen to you or is it just me?
We all know our ping isn't always the same when playing in the server, for exemple mine in average is around 75 but can be down to 40-50 or go up to 130 despite being close from the server. Howerer my ping doesn't affect much my aim i always manage to adjust it as i'm used to play very high ping.

The problem is that with some players, not matter what is my ping, some specific players are very hard to hit no matter their level.These "ghost" players could have low ping or high ping too. Also when a non ghost player is near a ghost player it will affect the whole range and cause lag. Their hitbox is like somewhere else near them. for exemple if they move left, hitbox could be more in left or simply in their right depend how act the delay.In clear i play a game i  could kill all players (low and high pinger) but when that "ghost" players will be my target it will be harder to hit him.

To list a few nick of "ghost" players from my gameview there are  Agoc, Electro, an american player i forgot nick and fews others... I just try to figure how all this works.

Does it happen to you too? Please list some nick which act like "ghost" when they are your target.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:29 by Zinst »

Caracal

• caracalRus
Re: List some nick of "Ghost" players when you play
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 17:42 »
Howerer my ping doesn't affect much my aim i always manage to adjust it as i'm used to play very high ping.
For me 140 is maximum. 200 is absolutely unplayable - other players can kill you before you see them and press the button.
The problem is usually not how high is the ping, but how stable. When it is unstable, you cant adapt and you miss all the time.
As my avg ping is 100+ I always aim where the target will probably move, and not where I see it.

The hit is processed on the server, so it doesn't depend on other players connection. only your ping will matter you.
But there are some effects for 0-ping mode. I don't know if it works on Mia server and how it works on UT2004.

Agoc, LOL  :D

jiRNGen

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 18:01 »

The hit is processed on the server, so it doesn't depend on other players connection. only your ping will matter you.
But there are some effects for 0-ping mode. I don't know if it works on Mia server and how it works on UT2004.

Agoc, LOL  :D

Yes it's processed on the server but that doesn't mean that players's connection has no influence. It's clear to me, for exemple Caracal it would be by far easier to hit you than Agoc for me. Sometime i got obliterated by Agoc because of this especially in close range.

Caracal

• caracalRus
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 18:23 »
For me Agoc is not a big problem, less than his spyders. He uses defence position very well, hiding around the corner and slipping from hits. If you meet him in open space or e.g. on Torlan - he is easy target, far easier than other good players.
For me it is difficult to compare, in very close range I have that kind of problems with any players.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 18:27 by Caracal »

jiRNGen

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 18:35 »
For me Agoc is not a big problem, less than his spyders. He uses defence position very well, hiding around the corner and slipping from hits. If you meet him in open space or e.g. on Torlan - he is easy target, far easier than other good players. As for me.

I know what you mean but in this thread i'm not talking about skill and strategy. Just pointing the "ghost" players issue.No matter the level of the players concerned, The "ghost" effect would give me a disadvantage.

During a game, is the lag the same when you are facing any player? Don't you feel some delay difference when you try to hit a specific player?

Piglet

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 10:16 »
You should try the Freon server. I've got the ping compensation turned on there. You can just play it as if offline...

Arbok

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 10:19 »
hmm,"NETCODE" will fix a lot of ping issues ( only if it can be put in the  server), but the lag will not disappear so quickly i guess..
thats one way to fix ping issues..
i think we should try it for a week to see the reactions from all community players ...

Piglet

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 11:10 »
Try it and see...

It can't be added to the warfare server

lord_noob

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 13:28 »

Ping compensation is a great idea,
I'm guessing it takes into account both players ping when calculating the hit on the server.
Why can you not add it to warfare server?

For me, big targets with predictable path like a raptor are easy to hit,
But a zigzagging player is very hard to hit.
I'm so used to 100+ ping that when playing locally, it feels like things happen before i hit the button.

Piglet

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 16:02 »
The server is limited to things that happen on the server and can be pushed to a demo client.

Freon is a gametype with both client and server side code so demo clients can't play. We can make any changes or additions we like there with no restrictions.

That said, both servers are running bespoke code different to any other servers, and we're always on the lookout for ways to improve gameplay.

Caracal

• caracalRus
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 16:13 »
During a game, is the lag the same when you are facing any player? Don't you feel some delay difference when you try to hit a specific player?
No man, I don't feel lag difference on players.

Caracal

• caracalRus
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 16:22 »
As far as I know, ping compensation should let the hit happen as if the attacking player has 0 ping, but only in case if the target with its view could be in range. To exclude situations when you can be killed "through the wall".
So this should make "ghost effect" depending on players ping/lags.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 16:23 by Caracal »

lord_noob

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 18:48 »
The server is limited to things that happen on the server and can be pushed to a demo client.

Freon is a gametype with both client and server side code so demo clients can't play. We can make any changes or additions we like there with no restrictions.

That said, both servers are running bespoke code different to any other servers, and we're always on the lookout for ways to improve gameplay.

Ok, didn't think lag compensation involved client side code as it would be easy to exploit.

Piglet

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 21:06 »
I've not looked at the Freon code, but some does I believe.