General Zone > The Lounge

Dementia

(1/3) > >>

Stealer:
Not sure if anyone has experience with this ailment or not?
My dad has been taking a lot of prescription drugs since nearly dying and getting blood poisoning 15 years ago (taking 20 pills a day). My mum seems to think he has dementia, he has been forgetting some basic stuff, and I think its a by-product of all the (legal drugs he has been taking for soo long). I've spoken to a few of my clients about it (randomly) and they seem to think the quicker it is diagnosed the better. On the flipside I'm thinking if he has to take more pharmaceutical crap to slow down the rate of dementia, that's gonna be even worse for his internal organs. Anyone got any advice on this issue?
I'm planning to persuade him to get tested on Wednesday (sit down yap sort of thing), sadly this is unchartered territory for me.
Peace o/

sup:
Your father may have cerebral hypoperfusion in some regions of his brain (especially the temporal lobe). I understand your apprehension, but yes, you should seek diagnosis asap

With the diagnosis defined, you can look for alternatives to delay the worsening of the condition or improve the vascularization of his brain (if this is really the problem)

But I agree, many drugs are more toxic than poison. I have chronic migraine and the drugs I took have messed up my brain more than the disease itself..

The problem is that drugs are approved without knowing the exact mechanism of action. It's like "not sure how this drug works, but well.. it's what we have" and then 20, 30 years from now they will be banned when they are better understood.

Anyway, you need the diagnosis to understand the problem and take action. There are alternative treatments without "drugs". For example, there are some studies with football players who developed dementia and improved with specific supplements.

Doing nothing won't help your father

Piglet:
Get him to a GP and talk through from start to finish.  They'll assess and refer onward for tests and/or to speciallist as appropriate.

The system is pretty good at getting people to the right place at the right time. You have to take the first steps with your Dad to get into the system to start the process.

I wish you well.  My better 1/3rd worked for years in the area of acute dementia with the most affected in our region.

The earlier you get started the better. Don't hesitate. Book an appointment as soon as you possibly can.

Stealer:
Thanks guys.

@Piglet thanks again, your servers and forums have been a literal lifeline for me many years ago.

Quite funny the lunatic chronic depressive has now got his steez together and turned into a caring, semi responsible dude!

sup:
?
I have no idea what you're talking about
I just tried to help you, feel free to offend me, it will help your father a lot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version