General Zone > The Lounge

Dementia

<< < (3/3)

charsi_baba_zzz:

--- Quote from: Stealer on June 13, 2022, 21:41 --- he has been forgetting some basic stuff,

--- End quote ---

As a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist/neurosurgeon I am inclined to disagree with you all. Memory loss is common in almost all mental illness and disorders.

Dementia has other symptoms like decline in linguistic abilities, has trouble using day to day tools like phones or any basic electronics, general cognitive decline and loose association of context during speech.

IMO it  could be Alzheimer's disease most likely not sure with the limited info provided. what kind of pills? what prescription pills, stimulants, or opioids?

NOTE: My opinion should not be taken as a clincial advice and would recomment to visit your nearest and  reputed  mental health professional.

Stealer:
Thanks for the input Charsi :)
Think he told me he passed the test again... Could just be old age? Who knows.

Piglet:

--- Quote from: charsi_baba_zzz on July 29, 2022, 17:54 ---
--- Quote from: Stealer on June 13, 2022, 21:41 --- he has been forgetting some basic stuff,

--- End quote ---

As a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist/neurosurgeon I am inclined to disagree with you all.

--- End quote ---

Not sure what part of what I said you'd disagree with?

--- Quote from: Piglet on June 14, 2022, 14:44 ---Get him to a GP and talk through from start to finish.  They'll assess and refer onward for tests and/or to speciallist as appropriate.

The system is pretty good at getting people to the right place at the right time. You have to take the first steps with your Dad to get into the system to start the process.

I wish you well.  My better 1/3rd worked for years in the area of acute dementia with the most affected in our region.

The earlier you get started the better. Don't hesitate. Book an appointment as soon as you possibly can.

--- End quote ---

hellfire:
This discussion reminds me to nag my mother from taking a casual test as complained off hand to me that she thinks she is forgetting things. Good to read such topics and for stealer, this comes from someone who choose between medicine vs IT and has many med friends, an early diagnosis is ALWAYS important than late. When you detect anything early, you can apply the best of our knowledge to resolve the issue. The options become narrow as times goes on. In France, we have letters about mandatory age related checkup form social security as they realized it costs much less if detected early :) Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version