A different balancing algorithm  (Read 18633 times)

Flenser

A different balancing algorithm
« on: August 12, 2023, 17:07 »
My data suggests that the balancer is less than optimal, based on the number of 5-0 games that happen.  :D

We were playing the other day, and someone on the winning team was all "EZ", and when I looked at their team, all the top players had 20-30ms ping times, while the losing team… didn't.

I pointed that out and suggested that the balancer should maybe balance teams based on ping times. That might be an interesting thing to try.

TheEnder

Re: A different balancing algorithm
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 18:58 »
*sad nab noises*

kops

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 19:08 »
An issue is that ping≠skill. If it's used as a parameter in the balancer then I would get a boost having a 16ms ping. But I'm shite.

Flenser

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 01:40 »
Yes, ping is not skill, but which skills? Shooting, manta driving, being sneaky? All of those are important.

I am just curious whether balancing by ping would lead to more even games.

And I am sorry that THC is still making sad noob noises. I hope you cheer up and stop being a noob soon!

Yes

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 09:05 »
I think I might've been there for this; hard to tell since I came on a few times and saw some weird teams with alot of 5-0s

I think some of the newer looking players may have thrown this a bit, if I remember the balancer correctly it simply ranks the players by points per hour then then tries to alternate assigning players to each team.

In practise there were a few games where I'd go in thinking myself and another high scoring player like Hell would be assigned to different teams but we'd end up on the same one and have a very easy 5-0.

Think there's 3 options we have to change / improve the algorithm;

1) Ignore players/names with a low game count - some maps like longest yard get you to triple digit scores within a few minutes, if a new player goes onto longest yard and can shoot half decent they'll likely be considered a top tier player the next game

2) Balance based on win rate - scores don't mean a whole lot sometimes as on some maps you have resources that make it easy to get a high score while not actually helping your team a whole lot - like on GooYou, if you have a player just farm kills with the tank they'll probably both lose the team the game and have the highest score in the game

3) Balance based on map - would take a while to fill data but would give a more accurate picture per map.

Plakatowy

• Buritto
    • Biegan
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 12:07 »

(... ) I think I might've been there for this; hard to tell since I came on a few times and saw some weird teams with alot of 5-0s

(... ) In practise there were a few games where I'd go in thinking myself and another high scoring player like Hell would be assigned to different teams but we'd end up on the same one and have a very easy 5-0.

(... ) Ignore players/names with a low game count - some maps like longest yard get you to triple digit scores within a few minutes, if a new player goes onto longest yard and can shoot half decent they'll likely be considered a top tier player the next game

I don't want to be rude or something, but talking about balance on LongestYard when Im scoring 5 caps with 0 kills have no sense.  O:-)

Resike

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 14:32 »
How about when you RQ and ditch your team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRqm4wHthv0

Maybe team leavers should get a some kinda penalty. And the winjoiner plebs to not be able to instajoin to the winning team, hence the two notorious real losers like Lóón and PlayerZet.

Kuha

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 07:30 »
VCTF drama is back on the menu.  I think the lack of good players on both teams is the problem. And no Hell, Plaka arent top players. With the pros gone to Overwatch2 there is no Gods  playing with the nabs like ender. Maybe that king of Faceclassic pokemon guy will bring the balance  ppl are hoping. Only future will tell us.

Killer_XTREME!!!

• "Turn your wounds into wisdom"

TheEnder

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 09:44 »
VCTF drama is back on the menu.  I think the lack of good players on both teams is the problem. And no Hell, Plaka arent top players. With the pros gone to Overwatch2 there is no Gods  playing with the nabs like ender. Maybe that king of Faceclassic pokemon guy will bring the balance  ppl are hoping. Only future will tell us.
The thing is, this game is way past the point of competitive play. Most of us play for fun, but I get that people like you - or your husband – only get off on bEinG tHe bEsT. Well congratulations guys, you are decent plebs, but what exactly do you get for winning?

Resike

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 11:33 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRqm4wHthv0

Burrito ban for Plaka :p

How about when they grief and shittalk me for 30 minutes straight accusing me of tax fraud then plain sexually harrassing me? While doing nothing in game and my teammates collectively trying to prevent me from capping...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXoPVYZhts0
This game was over 30 minutes, and the worst thing you can't mute these degeneretes.

Unlike these absolute clowns I own 3 companies and I overpaid my taxes on all of them:
https://i.imgur.com/1jMkh9t.png

You know what, better ban that Resike guy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:40 by Resike »

Plakatowy

• Buritto
    • Biegan
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 12:21 »

Resike

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 12:50 »
"Personal data"
Good joke, nothing personal is visible. In fact the data is publicly available.

"Complaining"
You mean, when he can't vote kick me just joins my team to do nothing and grief me? Oh yes quality UT god players there.
Falsly accusing someone of tax fraud is a crime itself tho...

"Haxxers"
Plaka boy gets killed by 14 shock rifle rounds.
fAcKiNg bOtTer
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:58 by Resike »

kops

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 13:34 »
VCTF drama is back on the menu.

holyspam

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2023, 15:58 »
VCTF drama is back on the menu.

If you ban all players from Warfare and nobody plays anymore, the curse will transfer to the admins