Idle kick on map start means you can't re-join game until next match?  (Read 5808 times)

satin

This is new.

How about if you get disconnected, can you re-join then?

Is this some sort of idler remover thingie? I wouldn't have thought with the state of 2004 servers it's much of an issue these days

@piglet, do you know?

Piglet

if you leave the smaller team then someone from the larger team will be swapped into the gap.

If you do that, wait a few minutes before rejoining, otherwise the logic will see you abusing the balance logic. It can't tell the difference between you being an ass abusing the balancer and you disconnecting/being kicked.

satin

I see, the message though did specifically say essentially 'don't come back until the next match'

Piglet

If you come back too soon that's the consequence.

Flenser

if you leave the smaller team then someone from the larger team will be swapped into the gap.

If you do that, wait a few minutes before rejoining, otherwise the logic will see you abusing the balance logic. It can't tell the difference between you being an ass abusing the balancer and you disconnecting/being kicked.

I was one of those asses. If we’re down like 3-0, AND we have a bot, I’d spec for a minute to pull a player from the other team in the hopes of evening up a little, then join back in. If that’s abusing the balance logic, ok…

Grim_Fandango

Thought I'd drop this in here as it might be related.

I joined a game for a fraction of a second before the game crashed.  It's a graphics thing and usually corrects itself on next load.
Anyway, I managed to re-join the game briefly before it ended and has be in both teams at the same  time.

Definately not a win-joiner :)

• Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, made up genders are from Uranus.
• It's all shits & giggles until someone giggles and shits.
• I wish I had the aim of an Eastern Bloc player.

Piglet

Ha! That's a ut2004 core bug. You get it in all gametypes.

But thanks for posting it. Anything like this could be something caused by the custom code on the server....there is a significant amount of it running....

Right

I went to spec for a few seconds and tried to join again (my own Team) and it said trying to join the smaller team: try again in 3 minutes....
Don't think thats the Right way it should work.

sup

The code is set up to do exactly that Right. I think it would be better to simply prevent any player from joining the team that is winning (even if that team has one player less).

This way, if a player wants to force the balance of the game (going to the spectators to force a player onto their team) this will only be possible if that player is on the team that is losing (which is annoying, but acceptable, because it will be benefiting the weaker team). If the player is on the winning team and does this, he will not be able to return to the winning team, he will have to play for the losing team and this will cause that player to probably throw himself out the window, and with luck it will be one less cheating player on the server, I know, I'm a genius.

This way, it wouldn't be necessary to wait 3-4 minutes to return to the game, allowing players who need to reconnect (due to crash, gunbug, lag, etc.) to play immediately (at least on the team that is losing) and avoid winjoiners (also known as Loon).

Flenser

Ugh, I hit that bug where I died and couldn’t respawn, so I spec’d and rejoined… and couldn’t join for 3 minutes. Luckily Duke joined and started scoring for my team.  :D

Piglet

Hmm. There isn't any way to tell the reason for spectating/leaving. I could disable the functionality by reducing the time penalty.... But people would have to stop complaining about players dropping to spec from the smaller teamto make the balancer force someone from the team with then) 2 more people on it.

What is worse? The penalty on nice players with issues, or the bad players doing that?

sup

Prevent all players from joining the winning team is the best solution in my opinion. If someone forces the balance, this will only be possible on the team that is losing. There is no need to set any timer for those who left the game. (they will only be able to return to the team that is losing) Winjoiners are much more annoying and much more frequent than occasional specific players who force the balance.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 00:49 by sup »

Killer_XTREME!!!

• "Turn your wounds into wisdom"
Prevent all players from joining the winning team is the best solution in my opinion.

Provided this is the case from spec mode only. This won't work, what if players join directly to the server and not from spec. What will happen in that case then ? In your case there will always be a bot in winning team? How will this work? if 4-5 players join within a minute what then ? xd
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 09:05 by Killer_XTREME!!! »

pishach

Maybe move any new joiner to trailing team and swap least effective person from that side to winning one. Least point / flag touch / flag return and if possible no effective vehicle run. Still this will be easily exploitable by doing noting when in the loosing side and yes there are some players like that.

If you go spec from winning side and re-join it will switch you. Don't think most people like it though.

sup

If he joins directly and the losing team doesn't have a spot, just like Pishach said, a player from the losing team would be swapped to the winning team and he would join the losing team

There won't always be a bot, only if a player leaves the winning team. If more than one player leaves, a player from the other team would move to the winning team to balance. After (if) the game was tied, players could join either team again

If many players joined at once the same logic would happen, new players go to the losing team and players from the losing team would move to the winning team

I think the option of joining the team that is winning can never be an option for players, if that happens it needs to be due to a game balance

So it would work like this:
If the player joins and there is a losing team: he goes to the losing team
If another player joins and there is no place: a player from the losing team moves to the winning team and that player joins the losing team. This is repeated successively for all new players who join
If the game is tied, there is no restriction
If a player leaves the winning team, a bot takes their place (and it is not possible to take their place by joining)
If 2 players leave the winning team, a player from the losing team moves to the winning team (exactly how it works now)

There will probably be some problems with this logic, it's just an idea, but I think it's possible to find something that works better than it does now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 13:21 by sup »