Monsters Monsters Monsters  (Read 15097 times)

Snipe34

Monsters Monsters Monsters
« on: July 29, 2010, 03:23 »
I copied over monsterBoy's ideas for monsters:

"A bit off-topic, but I would also like to see some more changes to enemies. I really like the new sirens and crawlers (well, I hate them, but that is good) in 2.53. But often the first few levels are still a bit boring. I'd like to see the following changes to enemies:

1. Crawlers should be faster. They're deadly, but you can kill them with one shot and as long as you pay a bit of attention they're not dangerous. You can even run away from them without problems. If they had +50% speed it would make them much more dangerous.

2. Gorefasts definitely should be much faster. Maybe let them run all the time (like they do when they attack).

3. Scrakes should be the second best enemies in the game, yet they're a joke. Not sure what to do about it though.

I think there should be enemies that you can't run away from. It's just stupid if you can outrun every single enemy in the game."

Like I said in "Guns, Guns, Guns," monsters (the programming of) is Afx0r's area of expertise...   The code behind guns is also Afx0r's area of expertise btw.

Monsterboy

Re: Monsters Monsters Monsters
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 16:13 »
Here are my thoughts on all the creatures:

Clot: No need for a change, it's the basic cannon fodder zombie.

Bloat: No need for a change either. Takes a good amount of damage and the acid stuff is rather dangerous if you get too close. He's only a level 1 zombie after all.

Stalker: Maybe a bit more transparency? It's too easy to spot them. Their only advantage is their stealth mode (and maybe the relatively fast speed) after all, apart from that they can be killed with one shot and don't do much damage. Didn't they glow red when lit with a flashlight in 2.51? More transparency and the glow effect would be pretty cool imo. Would give the flashlight a purpose as well. Without flashlight it would be very hard to see them.

EDIT: Maybe give them a 'pulse' effect so they fade in for a short amount of time only (but not completely, only to their current transparency amount). Like 3 seconds completely invisible, then fade in to slightly transparent for 2 seconds, then go back to completely invisible and so on. I could imagine that this would cause a lot of panic and confusion among the players (like shooting with your shotgun into a seemingly empty room because you hear a stalker somewhere).

Crawler: Pretty good already, if they catch you it's hard to survive unless you act fast. But they could be faster (+50%?) since they're really easy to kill as long as you pay attention. They also look like they would move faster.

Gorefast: Why are they called like that? Because they start to run when they're right next to you anyway? They're really weak enemies and are no threat at all. I think they should run all the time or at least they should start to do so much earlier (when they're farther away from the players).

Siren: Perfect (deadly) since 2.52.

Scrake: Like the Gorefast another pointless enemy, maybe the most ridiculous enemy in the mod compared to the round he appears in (second best enemy after fp? lol). I would increase his attack reach and attack speed (not walk speed) to make the 'run up to him and shoot him in the head with a hs' tactic impossible. Keep your distance or you're dead.

Fleshpound: Good as it is.

Patriarch: Probably not possible to solve since it's an AI problem, but Patty is often confused. He runs towards the players and then suddenly stops and runs in the opposite direction. Seems like it's hard to decide for him where to go. Other then that obviously a strong enemy (even though in almost all case where my team defeated him it was because he was acting like a retard).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 16:31 by Monsterboy »

Monsterboy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 19:29 »
We don't have zombie mutants where I live, so I can't say what is realistic for them. If you say that invisibility is not realistic while a 10 feet tall guy with a chainsaw instead of an arm is then I just have to believe you. ;)

Maybe scrakes should be immune to headshots and have a faster attack and more attack reach. They're so slow they need all the help they can get. Can't remember when I was killed by a scrake the last time...must have been months ago.

Crawlers climbing on walls would be very cool, but I guess that is impossible to do. But if it is possible I'm all for it.

If you are honest most crawler deaths happen because you become careless. And that only because you are bored. And you only become bored and impatient because the game is too easy. You wait for all the monsters to come around a corner and you don't want to wait so you press forward. Oh, a crawler, s***. That wouldn't happen if you would need to pay attention all the time to survive.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 20:10 by Monsterboy »

Monsterboy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:22 »
It's being worked on. Couldn't find anything about resurrecting and enlarging people, then replacing one of their arms with a weapon they can control through some kind of synapse connection though.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you can't really talk about realism in a game with fleshpounds, crawlers, sirens and scrakes. None of them are even remotely realistic. They're all weird, mutilated zombie monsters from a horror movie. And nothing that could ever exist in real life. It's like watching Star Wars and complaining about lightsabers not being realistic.

My idea about stalkers was geared more towards the gameplay and immersion aspect. I remember that the invisible mutants in Stalker (the game) gave me the creeps because you never knew where they were, you just heard them. The atmosphere in Stalker is of course different than in KF, but I think in some levels it could work for KF as well.

It's just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:32 by Monsterboy »

razor

• Cowkiller2000
    • razor66100
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 13:18 »
a giant pussy i mean a giant cat would be good as a new zombie

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 14:23 »
It's being worked on. Couldn't find anything about resurrecting and enlarging people, then replacing one of their arms with a weapon they can control through some kind of synapse connection though.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you can't really talk about realism in a game with fleshpounds, crawlers, sirens and scrakes. None of them are even remotely realistic. They're all weird, mutilated zombie monsters from a horror movie. And nothing that could ever exist in real life. It's like watching Star Wars and complaining about lightsabers not being realistic.

My idea about stalkers was geared more towards the gameplay and immersion aspect. I remember that the invisible mutants in Stalker (the game) gave me the creeps because you never knew where they were, you just heard them. The atmosphere in Stalker is of course different than in KF, but I think in some levels it could work for KF as well.

It's just a suggestion.

They're genetically modifyied organisms. Nothing new in that.
There's also nothing weird about cloning people, it's done all the time - http://www.clonaid.com/

[MiA]afx0r

• Full MemberĀ 
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 16:39 »
Well zombies will have some tweaks for next patch sure. But doing more transparent the stalker won't help. Ppl'll start complaning about hey something hit me and I couldn't see it... etc... etc...
The atmosphere from Stalker is dedicated to a single player game. Very different from Kf. So it's ok that the bloodsucker (stalker monster's name) is invisible, that you can listen him coming, and then he shows his true form.

poompoom500

• For my one and only Dottie.
    • poompoom500
    • poompoom500
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 18:57 »
 :-[ KF Monsters,

I thought I'd share my idea on KF monsters. How's about a walking brain-eating monster? See my picture below!

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 19:24 »
Mahlooeh that's so cute :3

[MiA]afx0r

• Full MemberĀ 
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 21:57 »
hahaha it looks like a sponge.
Sponge zombie
Abilities: Drain blood from players

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 23:41 »
Or brain sucker. This cute sponge would jump on player's face to suck brains and blind him, until teammate kills it.

Snipe34

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 03:09 »
They all eat brains, can you give more details plz?  I mean you have a vision of a creature but your vision is not clear to me - ok probably because I'm slow, although I would like to know more precisely what you mean.  I see a rough drawing - what are it's colours, probably brown?  How does it move?  Well the legs.. its gait is human?  Hamada and Raj have guessed, and I guessed too, but I hope you help me out with details, thanks!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 03:47 by Snipe34 »

N3Cr0

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 12:49 »
I'd like to see some suicide bombers in the game.
I imagine some fat guys which running fast to the players then they inflate themselves till they explode.

It would be nice if there were many of them and you could simply kill them with a pistol (they will also explode when they get shot down, but they will make less damage).
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

poompoom500

• For my one and only Dottie.
    • poompoom500
    • poompoom500
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 13:46 »
 :-[ To Snipe34,

I got my idea from Doom 3. I was thinking more of the Cacodemon (see below). But I had another idea for a monster. Elephant Launcher.

razor

• Cowkiller2000
    • razor66100
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 14:05 »
y dont we just put pokemons as the new zombies lol