KF-Insanity  (Read 16657 times)

Vanico

• Loves KF and makes maps.
KF-Insanity
« on: June 19, 2011, 19:31 »
I was trying to make a new map.
You're located in the dungeon complex of an abandoned asylum.

Download it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3ig71f93rpgr3dn

The download comes with the map KF-Insanity and KF-InsanityNoSeal. NoSeal is for testing purposes and unseals every door in the map so you can explore it.

Tips:
- Try to unseal some doors before the patriarch appears, because the starting area is way too small for an encounter.

Please post bugs and give me feedback so I can improve this map and make better future maps :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 19:44 by Vanico »

N3Cr0

Re: KF-Insanity
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 20:17 »
Found one (feature of bug, idk): You can hide (get locked) in the shop if you are in the shoping room close to the door - there is no trading zone.
If you come closer to the trader you'll get teleported to the corridor.

Anyway, I really like the style, but i wish there were more rooms - a map to explore ;)
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

Vanico

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 20:21 »
Oh, I don't think that's a problem. You get teleported when entering the trader zone anyway...
The map is easy to expand, maybe I'll update it one day.

N3Cr0

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 20:23 »
That would be great^^
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

Vanico

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 22:14 »
I'm working on an update, but I want some feedback by other people too...

One question:
Are there too many welded doors?
I've set the welding strength on the second doors to 50, because we don't want to unweld door until round 9, do we?

Hicks

• Lurker
    • id8
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 22:27 »
Looks interesting. I'll test it tomorrow.

Snipe34

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 00:07 »
I can't get MediaFire... not even to upload shit, timeOut timeOut XD (so I'm using RapidShare).  I'll try to download your map later.

Edit:  A reasonable little map which I uploaded to the game server. 

But, some problems with pathing and widths.

I fixed the pathing problems which I hope you don't mind...?  Problem: through the welded door around the left, thru another welded door and up to over-hang.  There was a broken path which I joined.

Widths.  Absolute minimum should be about 144 - place an FP and his hands and head should be able to fit.  So not sure if we won't get some monster jams.

256 is a good minimum width and probably 192 a good height.  If you download your map you'll notice I placed a lot of ForcedPaths (aka jumpspots -look in <NavigationPoint of the jumpspots to see ForcedPaths>) to make sure the monsters will get thru those really, really narrow areas.

Has nice subtle lighting!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:52 by Snipe34 »

Vanico

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 14:31 »
Thank you Snipe :)
Yeah, I'm not very good at pathing and door placement etc. but at least my maps are somewhat playable ^^
And I'm glad I've tried mapping. I bet many people don't even try because they get frustrated too fast...

Could you send me the fixed map? Because I'm thinking of an update...

Hicks

• Lurker
    • id8
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 18:47 »
Not bad, heh :-\
But map is too flat, here's need to add decorations, more and more, because for now it's just a simple labyrinth.

Vanico

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 23:19 »
Update:
- Added another (weldable) door
- Unweldable doors are not weldable anymore
- Removed LAW, Flamethrower and HS Spawns and replaced by ItemSpawn and more Cash
- Fixed item spawns

http://www.mediafire.com/?18dd27w3ddxd9w3

Following Updates:
- Another ZedSpawn
- More rooms
- [V3] Triggered spawns

P. S.: Before you upload to server:
Press "Build All" before, I'm not sure if I've done this.

Snipe34

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:27 »
Uploaded to server - as KF-InsanityV2 (all rebuilt)

Vanico

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 17:35 »
*sigh*

I'm sorry Snipe, here's another update (Just replace InsanityV2):
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1c152abp6icb1h

- Lowered weldable door strength
- Added new corridors, rooms and even teleporters
- New money room
- Added another spawn

Snipe34

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 01:50 »
*sigh*

I'm sorry Snipe, here's another update (Just replace InsanityV2):
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1c152abp6icb1h

- Lowered weldable door strength
- Added new corridors, rooms and even teleporters
- New money room
- Added another spawn

np.   But the new area off the place where the HS pickup was, is too narrow for zombies.  As I said use the FP as a basis for your widths and heights.  Try for 144 absolute minimum width.  Also Raj doesn't want LAW pickups and you have 2.  And maybe also you put a little too much $$$ in those rooms.  Also it's no use having bZombiesIgnore on doors- means they don't do anything, but stand around looking at the door.  That's what the patty did when he hit that last door in the first version of the map.

If you're going to start making bigger maps, you'll need to pay more attention to the rules of BSP construction as set out by Epic's UT docs.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/IntroToUnrealEd.html http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/BspBrushesTutorial.html#BSP_Brush_Introduction

Keep The Grid On   (copied verbatim from the Intro link)

The Grid is a very very useful part of Unreal Ed. By leaving the grid on, you make things easy on yourself for lining up geometry on nice regular powers of two. When you turn it off, you open yourself up for disaster. If BSP brushes are misaligned in any direction they can cause terrible things to happen (randomly disappearing geometry, BSP holes, drastically slowing down render times, etc.) and these problems can be very difficult to track down. Sometimes you can have BSP brushes appear to line up perfectly -even when you zoom in super close, but unless you have the grid on, chances are that super close is not close enough.

If you do need more flexibility, you can change the grid size, and it will go down to a grid size of 1. So really, there shouldn't be any need to turn the grid off as the risk of forgetting to turn it back on is great. Sometimes the only way to fix misalign BSP geometry is to just through the map away and start over."

So remember Vanico, KF Unrealed and Unreal are machines.  They work according to specific rules.

Grid Snap on:   At the bottom of the editor, the square with many small squares - hi-lighted is on. Start map construction with grid size 32 grid if possible and work down from there > 16 > 8 as you map gets more complicated.  But grid snap off if you're moving static meshes around is fine...

Although if you're only going to make small maps and with passages what you're doing atm is passable ^^

Veica

• \m/
    • xS0NARx
    • VeicaNoriceia
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 01:56 »
Would it be possible for you to take a look at my map, Snipe? My two ZombieSpawns don't like to work for me, even at default settings they only spawn once.
Previously known as: xS0NARx, Njordr, Latte, or whatever the "name of the week" was.

Snipe34

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 02:02 »
Would it be possible for you to take a look at my map, Snipe? My two ZombieSpawns don't like to work for me, even at default settings they only spawn once.

Sure man, give me a link