KFmod lagging like hell  (Read 7676 times)

N3Cr0

KFmod lagging like hell
« on: September 04, 2011, 21:12 »
Idk why, but these days my game is lagging on many maps. (seems to happen mainly on the Miasma server). My framerate decreases and that really sucks.
Well, once I saw this problem on KF-Suburbs (on by Fast PC using Windows), then last Weekend I copied all the new maps, textures, mutators etc. to my laptop and tried to play KFmod online - same there but even worse...
 (on some all the other maps)
And today I even experienced the problem on my normally smooth running Linux version (only when we played KF-Arcade-Gas-Station-V3 and only when there were many zeds close to me).

Does anyone have an Idea how to fix that? Maybe it's a bug with the zombie volumes and one of the mutators.

http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

Hicks

• Lurker
    • id8
Re: KFmod lagging like hell
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 21:46 »
As i noticed fps rate in kfmod depends on map optimization. Some maps may cause slow down because there is too many static meshes, foliage, etc. Especially when many static meshes had default collision properties where is not needed, e.g. skybox, backdrop buildings, junk, papers...
Wich maps are you played?

Snipe34

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 00:06 »
Collision in skyboxes I never thought of that but now you mention it, seems obvious.

Probably the main problem is the LOD on animations - level of detail - I mean the old mod is much the same lod at level 4 distance as level 1, close up.
So 1st person guns I cut out 3 lods, and now there is only 1 lod, the closeup view.  1st view guns need only 1 lod because only the player holding the gun will see that view.  Means the cpu is not trying to calculate the other 3 lod views - I cut them out.
Other players only see the 3p, or third person view of the weapon.  I cut 3p guns to 2 lods.  This process removed nearly 4 megs from the old animation files, as I said in the mod update.  Anim file reduced from 17 meg to about 13.  So that will help a lot.
UT2004 game guns are optimized that way - but UTs optimization is not as dramatic as the cuts I made but without apparent loss of quality.  I guess UT people don't want mistakes on lod and maybe lose their jobs, so they err safely with slightly larger lods.

Mapping... Arcade Gas is a hard one because it's very open.  My main interest fixing was so zombies didn't get lost.  I optimized it a little with antiportals and bsp in strategic places.  (Skybox I didn't think of, nor collision on distant buildings :/)
So yep, need a tutorial on collison etc...  which maybe Hicks can manage if he has some time.

Hicks

• Lurker
    • id8
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 17:33 »
So yep, need a tutorial on collison etc...  which maybe Hicks can manage if he has some time.
Sure, why not. I guess tutorial will be not so hard to write.

N3Cr0

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 18:36 »
As i noticed fps rate in kfmod depends on map optimization. Some maps may cause slow down because there is too many static meshes, foliage, etc. Especially when many static meshes had default collision properties where is not needed, e.g. skybox, backdrop buildings, junk, papers...
Wich maps are you played?

Ok, just gave it one more try singleplayer-like (Windows version): I tried the same maps as before and they all lagged (even on lower medium details - but it went a little bit smoother than on high details).
The maps were:
KF-SBC-Box-7thRemake
KF-Suburbs
and even KF-Wretched

Can it has to do with the fact that I'm playing the game on Full-HD resolution?

... Or maybe some packages are broken - I better reinstall the game and DO NOT put the mutators in the /system directory.
I hope that will fix my Issue.
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

funball

• dont Let me Make you Into A PATTY!!!!
    • halt95
    • halt95
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 19:02 »
i dont think its anything to do with that It may just be specific maps, its seems fine to me no fps or anything but, it may be the server? ive checked and noticed that my ping rises at specific times when i lag

Kieran.