Better sound output / bugfixing UT2004 Linux version.  (Read 8538 times)

N3Cr0

Better sound output / bugfixing UT2004 Linux version.
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:56 »
Finally, my breakthrough!
Why haven't I found this a long time before?

Foreword:

UT2004 does not have the best sound architecture under Linux. The by default it comes with an openal.so build of oss, which does not support software mixing and that really sucks for me since it blocks all the other programs like music players while I play the game.
Another solution is using the alsa wrapper alsa-oss (aoss), which is very instable on my system (64bit Ubuntu and Creative Soundblaster Audigy LS) - If the sound crashes, my whole game crashes too.
Then I found a very easy way to set the whole game to use Pulse Audio.

What a freakin' long foreword, let's start:
1. Install pulse-audio and openal
2. Backup the openal.so located in .../ut2004/System
3. Copy your system wide openal lib to /ut2004/System and rename it openal.so . In my case it is located as /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1.12.854
4. Enjoy UT2004 (and KFmod) with software mixing.

Disclaimer: I'm not resposible if you mess up your game or system. Also until yet I haven't tested if it runs stable for me, but I will do soon.

Just tried, it's AWESOME!!!
All sound issues are fixed now. Finally I got SURROUND SOUND, no sterero anymore^^.
And it seems to run almost as stable as the default OSS version.
The only thing to mention is that it takes some performance, but if you don't have a stone age computer you'll be good with that option.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 13:56 by N3Cr0 »
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

Snipe34

Re: Better sound output / bugfixing UT2004 Linux version.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 13:01 »
Finally, my breakthrough!
Why haven't I found this a long time before?

Foreword:

UT2004 does not have the best sound architecture under Linux. The by default it comes with an openal.so build of oss, which does not support software mixing and that really sucks for me since it blocks all the other programs like music players while I play the game.
Another solution is using the alsa wrapper alsa-oss (aoss), which is very instable on my system (64bit Ubuntu and Creative Soundblaster Audigy LS) - If the sound crashes, my whole game crashes too.
Then I found a very easy way to set the whole game to use Pulse Audio.

What a freakin' long foreword, let's start:
1. Install pulse-audio and openal
2. Backup the openal.so located in .../ut2004/System
3. Copy your system wide openal lib to /ut2004/System and rename it openal.so . In my case it is located as /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1.12.854
4. Enjoy UT2004 (and KFmod) with software mixing.

Disclaimer: I'm not resposible if you mess up your game or system. Also until yet I haven't tested if it runs stable for me, but I will do soon.

I don't understand, but it looks impressive!  KF needs some Linux info, and there's the KF hit blur problem, also ScriptedTextures.  Nice work N3cro
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 13:10 by Snipe34 »

N3Cr0

Re: Better sound output / bugfixing UT2004 Linux version.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 14:03 »
I don't understand, but it looks impressive!  KF needs some Linux info, and there's the KF hit blur problem, also ScriptedTextures.  Nice work N3cro

Thanks Snipe.

Well, about hit blur problem: I wish I could easily fix it, but IMO it's a thing the ppl who made the UT Linux version (or the open-gl devs) should fix it since it's a big very complex project and they are into that subject.

...And the scripted textures: I think we should work around that problem: if someone could make a new welder model and we would find a way to add the welding status to the normal GUI
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de