Quake Live  (Read 7087 times)

N3Cr0

Quake Live
« on: December 27, 2011, 14:12 »
As a tribute to the now 15 years old milestone in history of First Person Shooters, Quake1/Quakeworld (the first online shooter) I wanna present you Quake Live.
It's based on Quake 3, but it comes with some improvements which were only available with mods in Quake 3,
for example unlagged gameplay (a frag gets post processed to calculate where you have hit and where the target was at that time)
- new gamemodes like clan arena (last man standing in teams, no weapon/ammo/health spawns, but almost all weapons and lots of health at the beginning, also rocketjumps don't hurt you)
- and @ Raj even Freeze Tag
Also your gameplay gets tracked to rank you; that makes it easier to find oponents with the same skill level.
...And what I personally really like is: it's a very fast game, much faster than Unreal Tournament...

Since they get payed for advertisements (and premium accounts) you can play this game FOR FREE.
Just register at quakelive.com, download the webbrowser extension and the 300MB game.

If you are pissed by the advertisements, just get an adblocker for your webbrowser or this client:
http://www.qlprism.us/

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 15:52 by [MiA]Raj »
http://n3cr0.itch.io/

xmpp: n3cr0@jabber.ccc.de

Hicks

• Lurker
    • id8
Re: Quake Live
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 16:04 »
Played this a year ago, when it was open beta. Many player models, many players, new game modes... looks exactly as Q3, but little bit newer. Btw, works better with Firefox.

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 16:46 »
No dodging, no translocators and much less popular than ut2004.

I think I'll pass...

N3Cr0

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 17:06 »
BUT:
Circle/strafe jumps, rocket jumps ... no movement combos like dodging in UT, but combos using the great physics engine (this makes it for example possible to move faster than a rocket)

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:36 »
I know, but it just feels weird not being able to "dodge" bullets :)

There's also some nice open source Quake alternatives, which I'd rather play instead of browser games :D
Xonotic and Red Eclipse come to my mind. I think they're both originally based on some Quake engine release.

But the movement in both is like a science compared to UT. And funny too, in Xonotic players should have a skateboard under their feet for the movement to make any sense.

[MiA]Zaid

• Boom headshot
    • Storm98
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:07 »
Love this mod :)

N3Cr0

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 13:00 »
Red Eclipse (former name: Blood Frontier) is based on Cube2:Sauerbraten, it's as you would call it the slowmotion version :P, but it has some nice features like wallrunning and double jumps.
Xonotic is the successor of nexuiz, since that game went from open source to commercial status (Xonotic is a fork of Nexuiz, made by a part of the same developers).
And yes, it is based on the quake 3 engine. Honestly, it is Quake 3 with other weapons, maps and graphics - it's kinda the "modern" Quake (containing some nice features like the offhand hook, which you only had in popular quake 3 server mods like black metal assault or excessive plus)

FFS! I feel like a living dicionary  :o
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 13:10 by N3Cr0 »

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 13:24 »
Oh yeah, the Cube engine.

I really like Cube2's sniper mode, but I can't crouch. And the movement is also pretty fast so I'll slip easily off places. (In UT you can just crouch to prevent slipping).
Also most of the maps are against the "camping" style. The only camping map is Venice, and even that's not perfect.

It's a shame really, I love the camping/stealth sniping modes of UT2004 with its huge livingroom type of maps. Can't believe there's no other game out there that are more sophisticated and where the purpose isn't mindlessly running around dieing more than you frag.

N3Cr0

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 13:54 »
LOL a camper, I thought even UT was against camping
Anyway, there are some camping maps in Sauerbraten, e.g. Suburbs, but the main aspect in that game is runnning around, maybe fragging all oponents sniper style with the rifle (much fun on short distances) and (if you play Venice for example) trickjumping. You can climb up anything using a rifle or rocket launcher^^
And Raj, this is not glitching, it's called trickjumping / freerunning.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 14:04 by N3Cr0 »

[MiA]Raj

• rajliv
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 14:42 »
I know the Sauer trickjumps, why would it be glitching. But there's no legit trickjumping in KF if that's what you're trying to prove here.

Oh and UT isn't against anything. Most people like UT for it's custom content (eg KF) not for the stock content.
Setting up a "camping" server is just a matter of customization.

Here's a freezetag/camping video from the times when UT was alive:

That's what UT2004's Freezetag gametype is all about. Don't confuse it with Freon (has normal UT weapons/game rules).

N3Cr0

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 15:24 »
Ah nice, I thought you mean the standard stuff (I imagined a deathmatch/Mutant from stack with campers with lightning guns/sniper rifles)